cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my speed profile be bumped up?

ganon11000
Dabbler

Can my speed profile be bumped up?

I regularly reboot my router (to enable and disable DMZ, etc..).
My speed profile was ~67Mbps. It is now 49Mbps (was 52Mbps a few days ago).
Could this be reset to 80/20 and let the DLM adjust it? (or set it to ~60/~12).
Unlimited 80/20 FTTC package.
15 REPLIES 15
xreyuk
Grafter

Re: Can my speed profile be bumped up?

The Plusnet profile speed automatically tracks the BT profile speed. Have you tried running the BT Speed Test and then clicking 'further diagnostics' and getting the speed tester to show your your BT profile?
Are you using a router with a built in VDSL modem, or are you still using the BT OR modem?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi ganon11000,
I've taken a look at your line and tweaked the Speed Profile, but it's only to 50.6Mb as this falls in line with your current sync rate. I've attached your line stats.
Unfortunately no ISP's have the functionality to be able to perform DLM Rests on FTTC lines, this is something that our suppliers are looking to introduce though. Any ideas what might have caused the speed drop?
ganon11000
Dabbler

Here it is (ignore the awful, WiFi speeds)
ganon11000
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
Hi ganon11000,
I've taken a look at your line and tweaked the Speed Profile, but it's only to 50.6Mb as this falls in line with your current sync rate. I've attached your line stats.
Unfortunately no ISP's have the functionality to be able to perform DLM Rests on FTTC lines, this is something that our suppliers are looking to introduce though. Any ideas what might have caused the speed drop?

I reboot my cheap £10 eBay router a lot for this or that and that seems to knock it down (going from 67 to 50 😕 )
It also doesn't seem to go back up after weeks of stable usage Sad
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What router make/model is it?
ganon11000
Dabbler

Just a WNR2000 running DD WRT.
I'm upgrading to an TP Link Archer C7 (It's in the post) and Ethernet cables!
Though it currently get to my PC like this:
Openreach Modem ----> WNR2000 in gateway mode (DD WRT)  -    -    -    -> DIR 615 in wireless bridge mode (DD WRT) ---> My PC.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Strange, if you're using sync by using the Openreach Modem then restarting your Netgear shouldn't cause a drop in sync.
ganon11000
Dabbler

I have had to unplug the openreach modem a few times but the last time I did that was about 2 months ago.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

My advice, given that we have no control really over FTTC DLM, would be to leave the connection as it is for a couple of weeks to see if the sync rate improves at all, if it does then we know your line is working it's way through the DLM profiles.
ganon11000
Dabbler

I will but the past few weeks it's gone from ~60 to ~50 😕
xreyuk
Grafter

It could be your cabinet filling up.
What does the estimate checker say at dslchecker.bt.com
ganon11000
Dabbler

This is what that checker says.
It is still a shame that my speed has gone 10-17mb slower Sad
Terranova667
Pro

Well the BT estimate that you posted states 51MB is the highest you can get that's clearly not the case if you were syncing at 67Mb but I'm afraid BTW / BTO & Plusnet will say your well within the required range based on the estimate you have posted despite loosing the amount you have.
Unless you have a fault that will drop the speeds under the range to get it fixed,  It's going to be the case of waiting a very very very very long time to see if DLM will return your speeds to you, Good luck to you I have been waiting almost 3 months now after a line fault was fixed and DLM has done nothing despite tests showing my line being fine.   
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@ ganon11000
What sort of performance do you get if you hook up your PC/laptop directly to the OR modem and connect via PPPoE?
This page shows the PPPoE set-up instructions for Win XP, but the basic settings can be applied to any OS that is capable of making a dial up connection.
Testing in this way eliminates your router and by the look of it the somewhat convoluted way you have things strung together.
Worth a try, if only for elimination purposes...  Cool