cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my IP profile be increased quickly?

mapletree
Grafter

Can my IP profile be increased quickly?

I have had a sync problem which is now much better, thanks to a new cable.  However my IP profile seems to be still dropping.  Yesterday it was 250K and now it's 135K. Cry  I have had a sync rate of 2200K+ since yesterday.  Can the IP profile be reset quickly?  I don't really want to be on dial up speeds all weekend!
43 REPLIES 43
James
Grafter

Re: Can my IP profile be increased quickly?

We don't have any control over your IP Profile.
However, increases of over 250% in sync speed is supposed to result in an IP Profile change within 12 hours.
mapletree
Grafter

It's definitely more than 12 hours since my sync speed increased.  However I only had a very short period with very low sync rate since I switched my router off when things were really unstable.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh

However, increases of over 250% in sync speed is supposed to result in an IP Profile change within 12 hours.

Is the 12 hours for BT to update the IP profile and then have to add on the time it take for this change to ripple down to PN which can be another 12 hours?
James
Grafter

Yes, we have no control over the IP Profile.
mapletree
Grafter

It's way over 24 hours now and I still have no improvement in download speed.  Sync rate is consistent at 2200-2300Kbps but download speeds 130Kbps.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi I've just glanced back at your earlier thread (as an aside it usually helps to stay in one thread as it's easier to see all the relevant info) to see where we'd got to.
What does the member centre say for your profile and have you run a BT speed test?
mapletree
Grafter

Thanks again Anotherone.  I started a new thread because this is a slightly different issue: IP profile vs sync rate.
The member centre gives 250Kbps and the BT speedtest shows me an IP profile of 135Kbps but I have never got the BT speedtester to finish.  Other speed testers show that I get around 130Kbps, which is comparible to actual download speeds.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You need to do the BT speedtest  http://speedtester.bt.com/
gingle
Grafter

Oldjim, I've done the speedtest - I can't see it showing any IP profile details. Only upload and DL speeds.
(update ^ - sorry I thought you meant the speedtest linked from Plusnet - the BT one seems to need an account??)
Anotherone, can you be more specific please? Where exactly is my  PN profile? ( I did look)
mapletree
Grafter

@Anotherone: I've been monitoring SNRM for a while now since I originally noticed a problem.  Since the new cable (7th) I have seen reliable sync speeds of 2200Kbps with no losses of sync AFAIK.  routerstats lite does die every now and then with a memory error but things seem stable wrt to sync speeds.  The SNRM does vary quite a bit between 14-8dB but has not resulted in any resyncs.  I usually switch off the router at night.
The cable is to replace a cheap 15m phone extension that I had since dial-up days.  I always knew it was not ideal but it worked OK for many years with broadband.  My routers and computers are not near the master socket.  I purchased a 'proper' twisted-pair ADSL cable last week, which resulted in a return to better sync speeds.  However my IP profile does not appear to have improved.  The PN profile still says 250Kbps and the BT speed tester still gives 135Kbps.
I know I can improve things further if I relocate my router next to the master socket, which I will do in the future, but for now I am just wishing for my IP profile to catch up.
Therefore it's v------e------r-----y    s-------l--------o-----------------------------------------------w and lots of things don't work at all - I guess due to timeouts.
brad
Grafter

Quote from: mapletree
I usually switch off the router at night.

Aha, this will be the thing which is stopping the IP profile to increase. Normally, how BT's DLM system works is that you need a solid connection for up to 3-5 days for the IP profile to increase. The bigger change that it needs results in the less time for it to increase, if that makes sense. Basically, if your IP profile is 135 and for your IP profile to increase to 1500 it will take less time to increase than for example you had an IP profile of 2000 and needed it to increase to 2500.
I would suggest to leave your router on for at least 48 hours (may need 72 hours but I doubt it) without any disconnections and you will find that the IP profile increases. The Plusnet profile will increase at the same time to match the BT profile. If you find that the IP profile increases but the Plusnet profile is stuck at 250, give us a shout (call us or raise a ticket) and we will amend it for you.
Smiley
mapletree
Grafter

@Brad: Thanks for your post, but I am even more confused.  Jamesh said it should recover in 12 hours!
brad
Grafter

Yeah it should do, but it may take longer which is why I advise about 48 hours. Just to make sure.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ok, with a twisted pair cable that plugs straight into the router, from that angle you won't do a lot better. You say it plugs into a double adapter at the master, so does a filter plug into the other socket of the double adapter and the phone into the filter? How long have you had the DECT phone?
I take it you don't have anything else plugged into the line - answerphone, fax, sky etc.?
The fact that you profile has gone down to 135 suggests you may have an intermittent sync problem
Also you need to leave your mode/router on continuously for your BT profile to rise at the quickest rate. In fact your switching on & off and re-booting in general is not doing you any good.
Once the BT profile is up, the PN one will follow in about 12 hrs, but I expect you know that from other posts.
I see Brad has just posted , I hope my post clarifies that.
Edit: To correct statement about profile.