cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my Fibre speed be returned to original level?

bigsman
Hooked

Can my Fibre speed be returned to original level?

Hi
First let me say that I have done a bit of reading on the boards but not exhaustive, so if I have omitted any required information then I apologise.  Basically, my query/issue centers around the fact that my current speed is not nearly as high as my original speed when I first got fibre a few months back.  Now, I am still generally happy with my connection but am a bit perplexed that I can no longer reach the speed I had in the first 2 weeks after installation when that is supposed to be the 'unstable' period after which many people are told their connection will improve (my experience is the opposite)
I am connected at the test socket and using a BT HH5 - here are the current stats:
1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +076272+NQ33536437
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 04/01/14
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 10 days, 22:26:46
6. Data rate: 7535 / 44509
7. Maximum data rate: 7886 / 60206
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 5.6
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 19.8
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 18.1
As you can see current dl is around the 44 mark and has been like this for some time.  When first set up it was in the region of 56-58 and given the max data rate of 60+ I'm keen to find out if it can be returned to its previous level so I am maximising the package I signed up for.  Any feedback gratefully received cheers. 
18 REPLIES 18
leader
Grafter

Re: Can my Fibre speed be returned to original level?

Maybe try with just the White openreach modem* and the HH5 as just a router.
The HH5 have been causing all sorts of issues with the now infamous openrg disconnects causing the dlm to reduce line speeds.
*(Need an unlocked one if you still want full line stats)
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bigsman,
As above can you try connecting the OpenReach modem and using the HH5 as a router and we can then test your sync rate?
bigsman
Hooked

Hi there cheers for the reply.  Unfortunately all I have is the HH5 - I didn't get a separate modem when I joined PN but the BT guy generously gave me a HH at installation otherwise I wouldn't even be connected!  I did raise a query prior to installation because I had billion bipac and wanted to find out if it would work on fibre or not.  If I remember correctly the support person thought it would so I wasn't sent any kit...of course it later turned out it wasn't compatible and it fell to the BT installer to bail me out when he visited. 
If having a sep modem is essential then is there a way I can obtain one now?
thanks again
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bigsman,
We're going to have to book an engineer to come out and provide you with a BT modem. Can you advise when you'd be available for the engineers visit please?
leader
Grafter

That well know auction site is another option.
If taking time off  & waiting around for Openreach is a issue.

bigsman
Hooked

Quote from: Linn
Hi bigsman,
We're going to have to book an engineer to come out and provide you with a BT modem. Can you advise when you'd be available for the engineers visit please?

Ok thanks - I can be around any day/time this week but start a new job on Monday and it will become a lot less easy to arrange time off.
Cheers
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Until recently I had a similar problem although I did already have a BT modem. A DLM reset was carried out without any noticeable improvement so the BTOR engineer changed both the modem & the master socket. Immediately my D/L speed increased from 30 to 40+ & has now stabilised at 47 which is amazing. The new BTOR modem is obviously much improved over the old model which was only 12 months old.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI bigsman,
Thanks for getting back to me!
I've requested an engineer to attend on 03/04/2014 between 8AM and 1PM. I should be able to confirm this appointment in the next couple of hours. I'll pop an update on the ticket for you and send you a text as confirmation.
bigsman
Hooked

Hi Linn and thanks for your efforts to help so far Smiley
Engineer scheduled to visit tomorrow as you are aware - is this visit purely to provide a modem or will there be further tests?  Will the engineer have everything they need to reconfigure my connection using the new modem or should I have any details (login?) at the ready for them?
Sorry for the questions but just want to make sure I have everything covered
As a slight aside I have just run the BT wholesale tests and further diagnostics and there is something about the results that makes me wonder if there may be a profile issue with my connection,  As far as I am aware I am on the 78/20 package but this is what the BT results state:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 40.77 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 34.46 Mbps-43.08 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 43.08 Mbps
For upload I see
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 6.04Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
So my first thought is is my d/l profile somehow capped at 43.08 per the IP Profile part above?
I may be way wide of the mark but it does look odd to me - what do you think?
Thanks in advance
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi bigsman,
The visit is to do both, an Openreach Modem will be provided and the engineer has been tasked to complete all tests that would be required by any Special Faults Investigation engineer. So all line and quality tests will be completed on arrival, after the modem has been installed.
You may need your Plusnet details when configuring the router, so please make sure you have them to hand, just in case Smiley
The download speeds are down that low due to how the DLM has set the banding on your profile, the engineer should be able to sort that out tomorrow by doing a DLM Reset anyhow, which I'm sure will be straight forward for the engineer, this will sort out the IP Profile too.
bigsman
Hooked

Great stuff Chris - thanks. 
I'll make sure I have the necessary info to hand and see what happens tomorrow then.  Cheers for now.
bigsman
Hooked

Right..where to begin!?
The engineer has just left having spent the best part of 3 hours standing in my hall.  The outcome?  A marginal...and I mean highly marginal improvement in synch speed from 44 to 48 mb/s and an imperceptible increase in upload speed. 
Let me state that I am in no way criticising the efforts of the BTO guy when I say that this visit was almost entirely pointless.  I'll explain:
1.  Contrary to the PN posts in my thread, the BT engineer arrived without an openreach modem with a job description that made no mention of any requirement to provide me with a modem.
2.  When I explained my understanding of the purpose of his visit he looks bemused and pointed out that 'there's no point in you having a modem because the HH5 has one built in so what's the point?'
3.  I did my best to paint the picture re: the feedback in this thread (including showing him the posts by PN representatives).  He read them and then shook his head and said he still couldn't understand what point there would be in having a separate modem.
We left that topic in limbo and he then proceeded to run a series of tests on my line which 'passed with flying colours'.  I did make the point that at no time had I mentioned a line fault and that the crux of my post on here was the difference between my current synch rate and the one I got when 1st installed.  There then followed a series of calls to both PN and BT wholesale (I believe) with him requesting profile/dlm changes.  I was not privy to the detail of these calls but I do know that they didn't go smoothly as, on several occasions, we both stood looking at his diagnostic box waiting for the dsl to disconnect and re-sync...only for it not to happen on 3 occasions.  Each wait was followed by another lengthy phone call to try and get changes effected.
I believe that the profile change was completed but, in the first case at least, resulted in a lower sync speed of 41 mb/s.  Cue further phone calls culminating in the 48 sync speed.  After finishing his call the engineer then informed me that he and the person he spoke to were in agreement that the current speed was 'about right' and that the reduction I had reported was simply down to 'more people having taken up fibre since you first got connected'.  As explanations go it sounds a tad of a cop out but if that is indeed the case then I suppose it's something I will need to live with.
So...back to the pointless modem!  As he was leaving I plead my case and asked if it was possible for him to leave me one (pointless as it seemed) to avoid me having to take further time off work and him coming back needlessly again.  He said ok and I now have an Echolife 69x or whatever it's called.  It's not connected but at least I have it should you re-assert the need to try connecting via it and not the HH5.
I'd be grateful for your feedback on all of the above and the test results you've been sent.
Cheers

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Thanks for posting back about the engineers visit.
I'm sorry the speed increase has been marginal at best - if the engineer doesn't think you are likely to get much more, I can't argue too much with that.
1.  Contrary to the PN posts in my thread, the BT engineer arrived without an Openreach modem with a job description that made no mention of any requirement to provide me with a modem.

We requested that the engineer takes a Modem with him/her - it looks as though the engineer did have one as one has been left with you.
2.  When I explained my understanding of the purpose of his visit he looks bemused and pointed out that 'there's no point in you having a modem because the HH5 has one built in so what's the point?'

That's really not the point, as part of the initial installation, an Openreach Modem is supplied, this wasn't supplied. If your HH5 became faulty for whatever reason and you wanted to connect via PPPoE whilst you await a new router to be delivered, this wouldn't have been possible. Don't get me wrong, Self-Install will perhaps change that in the future but in this instance an OR Modem was requested and wasn't provided.
3.  I did my best to paint the picture re: the feedback in this thread (including showing him the posts by PN representatives).  He read them and then shook his head and said he still couldn't understand what point there would be in having a separate modem.

As above really.
I'm honestly really sorry for how that's turned out, it's not how we wanted it to turn out to be honest 😕
bigsman
Hooked

@Chris P
NB my speed is now below what it was when I first created this thread..
I am going to be completely honest here and say that I am pretty unimpressed overall - not just in relation to the engineers visit, but also in terms of the support offered by Plusnet.  I appreciate that PN are wholly reliant on BTO in several respects and that you are effectively hamstrung or, at the very least, constrained by those who manage the infrastructure upon which the service you provide to your customers depends.  Having said that and with an appreciation of the frustrations and issues that relationship may cause I do still feel that the 'legendary' customer service (which is what swayed me to choose you as my ISP) - is not as good as I'd hoped - even when it comes to those things you do have full control over.
Firstly, in relation to your response to point one from my previous post:  I have mulled it over for a few days before replying because, frankly, my initial reaction was that your tone was pretty condescending - which I really do not appreciate.  Having taken a couple of days and read it a few more times I still feel that your response was not appropriate given the issue I was trying to highlight.  Perhaps my initial post was not blunt enough (whereas your response definitely was) so I'll adopt your approach and see if it clarifies the point I was trying to get across:
More than one PN representative told me specifically that the BT engineer was coming to provide me with a modem.  That was not the case according to both the engineer himself - and the work order he had on his electronic pda.  That means that PN did not communicate effectively or accurately with either BT or me in relation to the purpose of the engineers visit.  That is a failing on your part.  The engineer was in my home for around 2 hours and, during that time, I made every effort to convey what I thought was the message I was given here by PN representatives to convince the engineer of the 'need' for me to have a modem.  He remained unconvinced and I was left wondering why I (the customer) ended up having to plead my case for something which you assured me was at least part of the rationale for his visit.  Just before he left I was able to convince him that leaving me a modem might just ultimately mean less hassle for him and me in the long run.  So - as you so eloquently pointed out in your response - yes the BTO engineer did have modems in his van (the salient point being that none of them were ever intended for me).  And - yes he did eventually relent and give me a modem but, and this is a fairly important but - he gave me an ECI modem in a beaten up Huawei box that he'd 'ripped out another customers house earlier'.
So, just in case that's all still too woolly - After 2 hours of attempting to plead my case and communicate with your supplier on your behalf I was successful in obtaining a second hand modem.  That outcome was purely down to my efforts to persuade him and either you didn't convey the need for him to bring me a modem at all, or your communication was unclear.  As a customer I do not think that it should fall to me to solve issues arising from your inability to communicate effectively.  That is the point I was making in my original post - albeit in a more subtle manner.  Your glib response which was essentially 'of course he had a modem because he left you with one' indicates that you both missed the underlying point of my original post and further - wanted to make me feel a little bit silly for even suggesting there was an issue given I did get the kit in the end.  I'm singularly unimpressed by both of these failings on your part and am of the opinion that your reply was a poor attempt to gloss over a pretty glaring mistake on your part.
With regard to your reply to point 2:  see above really - I'm not the one who requires convincing Chris.  Given that I was able to persuade the engineer of the validity of my request for a separate modem I feel I am fairly well versed in the supporting arguments.  Again though - you clearly have/had not had the same degree of success in convincing your suppliers which is both a bit of an indictment of your working relationship and practices, and a barrier to your providing a high quality service to your customers.  If there is one fundamental 'take home message' from all this it is that you and BT need to communicate more effectively and ensure that you are on the same wavelength when it comes to resolving customer issues.  If you continue to fail to deliver this then a proportion of your customers will receive a sub par service and you will be forced to deal with more feedback like this.
In relation to point 3 - it is somewhat heartening that you empathise with my position/sense of disappointment and your words are appreciated.  However, in purely practical terms, it really doesn't offer me anything tangible as a customer, which is a further disappointment.  It's doubly disappointing because I'm now left with the impression that the engineers visit was completely futile given that your conclusion appears to be 'it is what it is'.  My take on your response is that what you are telling me is that my connection is slower than it used to be...just because.  No diagnosis, no suggestions, no feedback on the test results which must have been sent to you by the engineer when he was at my property. I now have a fibre connection which is 16 mb/s slower than it was 2 months ago and a sync speed which is only 1 mb/s above the ceiling of your basic offering (41 mb/s) but am paying for one which should (in an ideal world) be twice as fast.  Evidently I did not expect to attain that speed.  I am a realistic person with realistic expectations but a 16 mb/s drop in 2 months on your premium service is a pretty poor show and I did expect a bit more 'support' from yourselves. 
A final note...as I've said I do understand the constraints within which you have to operate and am willing to be both patient and tolerant of the effects.  However, for the pinnacle of your customer service to be, in essence, 'the product you pay us for is degrading but we can't help you' - is simply poor.  I say this because you are basing your answer wholly on my account of the verbal feedback provided to me by a BT engineer who didn't understand the purpose of his visit, has (in his own words) 'never thought about checking the performance' of his own fibre connection and reached his conclusion after conversing with someone from Plusnet about my IP profile.  Not thorough, not confidence inspiring and, quite simply, not convincing.