cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i use existing dongle?

maggie53
Dabbler

Can i use existing dongle?

I have just received a new router from plusnet because the old one i received from Madasafish and was still using after three years,lost it's wireless connection and would only work with an ethernet cable.I was expecting a new dongle as well but perhaps that was rather optimistic? !! So i presume i can just go on using the old dongle,and hope that will last longer.
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Can i use existing dongle?

Hi,
This depends on the make and model of the dongle to be certain, but it should be fine yes.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
maggie53
Dabbler

Thanks Adam.i have a D link base(,from the original router,) and a Thomson link dongle,whichhas worked well fro over three years.
maggie53
Dabbler

Ok.Everything now up and running fine.But the instruactions that come with the router state "to use Wireless N with older equipment,you'll need to install Wireless N compatible adapters on each computer  or device you connect with."
My computer supports Wirelss  G,meaning broadband speed is slower.So what i would like to know is,can Plusnet supply me wit the required adapter or do i need to purchase separately? I have found this        http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tp-link-tl-wn821n-usb-wireless-network-adapter-10991894-pdt.html?intcmp...
Is this the sort of thing i need please ?
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is your "Current line speed" indicated here - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed  ?
If that is less than 14Mbps, then using wireless-G should not be slowing down your internet connection.
maggie53
Dabbler

Thanks for replying.It is 9.3,So you are saying it won't make any difference so i don't need a new one?
If so that's good news.it certainly used to be a lot slower till i changed to plusnet,and certainly the new router seems to have helped as well.I also seem to recall the exchange has upgraded to  improved the speeds .
Bit of a novice when it comes to these things as you can tell!
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you lose the wireless connection in some places in your house, then wireless-N will probably give you better range than wireless-G.
If you use a networked hard drive, then wireless-N will improve your local network connection.
If all you are doing is connecting to the internet at 9.3Mbps then wireless-N is unlikely to make any difference to throughput speed compared to a wireless-G connection that is working correctly.
If your wireless-G feels slower than before, then try setting the router to wireless-G ONLY.
Experiment with using different wireless channels as your new router may be using a different default wireless channel to your previous router, and the current channel may be being interfered with by one of your neighbours WiFi, and therefore possibly slowing your wireless connection down.
maggie53
Dabbler

The only thing there is that hubby has a wired connection to his computer only feet away from the router,and we also have a laptop downstairs that we use on occasions.So it may affect those,and to be honest i am quite happy with the speed that i get now.But we have a friend who sorts out all computer related issues and i can ask him if need be.
Thank you so much for your help,it seems i don't need to worry at the moment anyway.