cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can connect to the wifi but not the internet :(

MikeJT

Can connect to the wifi but not the internet :(

Been with Plusnet since Nov 2015 and after a couple of weeks with stability issues, the system appeared to have settled down.  Unfortunbately last weekend had to call for tech support with a really weird issue.  All of the wireless devices, which previously connected to the wifi (tablets, smart phones ...android and iphone, and laptops) were still connecting to the wifi router but couldnt access the internet.  I though there was an issue with the broadband (as all these devices could connect when used elsewhere) BUT.... one laptop is still functioning correctly.  Whether by design or by luck, its the laptop through which the internet and broadband was originally set up.
After a prolonged period of running many tests, it was decided that I would be sent a new router (text message Feb 6th "your router has been posted", phone call today "router was posted yesterday"..hmmmm !).  Hopefully that will cure it as it seemd that none of the mobile devices are having issues connecting to new networks.
I was just wondering, partially out of curiosity, but partially out "OMG what if this doesnt work and the kids dont have their internet over the school holidays", if anybody else has had this issue and hoe did they fix it ?
14 REPLIES 14
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Can connect to the wifi but not the internet :(

I bet a wired connection with any PC will work with your current router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MikeJT

Possibly.  But that wont help with the tablets and smart phones though.
cedlor
Grafter

Maybe define "connecting to the router"  I would suggest use only one tablet - switch everything else off and if the tablet finds the router does it "connect" automatically?
If it does type 192.168.1.254 in the browser bar and see if the router home page comes up. See if it says you are connected to the internet.
Are the correct lights on your router - which one do you have.
MikeJT

Connecting to the router = I have search for available wifis (after telling the devices to forget the connections). Found the router and connected to it, reinputted the network key as provided.
This has been done with all items switch off and only the "original" laptop will connect to the internet.  When I try to surf the internet, the pages do not load and I get told me that "the connection is not available" (even when i try the routers web address)
This literally happened overnight.  One night all was working OK and the next day we had multiple mobile devices not connecting.  tried the other family laptops the following night and nothing
Thought it might have been the laptop somehow blocking others but one of the tests the support team did was to disconnect the laptop and then try and establish connections on other devices, but nothing.
Once, since the test was run connections did reestablish on the mobile devices but this lasted literally a couple of hours.
The device is one of the plusnet 2704n routers on a standard broadband connection.  One of the techy guys at work think that there has been some kind of failure in the modems wireless transmission.  The line was checked by support and confirmed as functioning correctly so its fingers crossed for a new router = new connection = hopefully all working again.  Had a card from post office of missed  delivery so hopefully thats the new router.
TechSup
Dabbler

Quote from: MikeJT
since the test was run connections did reestablish on the mobile devices but this lasted literally a couple of hours.
The device is one of the plusnet 2704n routers on a standard broadband connection.  One of the techy guys at work think that there has been some kind of failure in the modems wireless transmission.  The line was checked by support and confirmed as functioning correctly so its fingers crossed for a new router = new connection = hopefully all working again.  Had a card from post office of missed   delivery so hopefully thats the new router.

Update this thread if that is the new router and if it has fixed the issue if not maybe we could try a few other things.
MikeJT

Just connected the new router, allowed it to connect with the internet ...... tried a couple of the devices ................. no change  Angry
cedlor
Grafter

With the new router have you tried with a tablet to get to 192.168.1.254.
Check the device is not in airplane mode?
Temporarily switch off any firewalls  and internet "child protection" limitations.
Can you post the router log.  May be a clue in there
MikeJT

Two devices can now get to the router address as stated above.
BUT when trying to access other webpages told they are not available.
Router log ? Forgive me, tech isnt my best subject.  How to get it and how to post it if tablet isnt able to access other pages (or can I get it from the working laptop)

edit....3rd device also able to access router home page, but nothing else
cedlor
Grafter

Is the new router also a 2704?
MikeJT

Yes.  Exactly the same type as the previous one
cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: MikeJT

Router log ? Forgive me, tech isnt my best subject.  How to get it and how to post it if tablet isnt able to access other pages (or can I get it from the working laptop)

I dont have a 2704n  so not sure if you can get to it try putting this in http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html ;   it may be there.
Yes do it on the laptop may be easier.
MikeJT

Well I had a little play around with the DNS settings on the computers and appear to have got 3 x additional windows 7 laptops working.  Cheesy  (changed them to static on the google dns items)
Try as I might, cant seem to get any of the android devices working yet.  On hold to customer support to see if they can assist with the correct settings.  Sad
MikeJT

Fixed  Grin  Grin
Channel changed on the router and also the DNS numbers on the router where wrong. Manually changed and ........... fingers crossed Cheesy Cheesy
cedlor
Grafter

Good - pleased to got it fixed - Smiley