cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help?

VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

Can anyone help?

I had been a Virgin Media customer for 20 years + in the inner city,, I recently moved house out into the country and Virgin Media do not cover this area.... I had no idea how to change providers so Virgin Media helped me to do a price comparason and Plusnet were the best buy....I waited 9 days for connection and sat down all excited to get online then was upset that my speed was so slow, I'm not too computer savvy to tell you what speed I get, Hopefully someone from Plusnet will be able to tell me....... at times its bearable but very slow but last night I could not connect at all..... My internet and friends on it are my life, Can anyone help me get a faster speed or at least a stable connection? Thanks for reading x
44 REPLIES 44
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Can anyone help?

Hi VictoriaWoods49
Welcome to the forums
There are a few speedtesters that you can use
The one mentioned in the footer of this page http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ Has had this warning for a while
Please Note: We are currently experiencing issues with our speed tester and results may not be 100% accurate.

http://speedtest.net
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
If you are having speed issue(s) it may be worth posting in the Broadband & Router section where PN staff are more frequent during working & (sometimes non working hours)

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

this should probably be in the BB section,
the first thing to check would be the service status http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&?helpheader=servicestatus to see if there was a general problem in your area
if that's negative then some other things will need to be known,
before anyone could try and help you out with your problem a few basic questions that need answers
what product package are you on ?  (i.e. unlimited bb or the up to xx limit?)
how long has your service been active for ?
roughly how far from your local exchange are you ?
are you knowledgeable enough to know how to log into your router and copy n paste the information from it into a forum post ?
these things will certainly help anyone trying to offer solutions to your problem
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Moved to the correct board and it would be useful if you could provide the information requested here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

Hi TORPC, I use the first of these speed tests U kindly sent me and have a history of them, I will post my test results over the last few days, I looked to post in the other section but being a dimwit I couldn't see how to open a new post lol

Date Download Speed Upload Speed
Today 15:44 692 kbps (86.5kB/s) 290 kbps (36.3kB/s) Share
Today 14:25 503 kbps (62.9kB/s) 267 kbps (33.4kB/s) Share
Today 08:26 810 kbps (101kB/s) 323 kbps (40.4kB/s) Share
Yesterday 21:52 770 kbps (96.3kB/s) 312 kbps (39kB/s) Share
Yesterday 21:31 722 kbps (90.3kB/s) 282 kbps (35.3kB/s) Share
Yesterday 21:24 782 kbps (97.8kB/s) 297 kbps (37.1kB/s) Share
Yesterday 20:18 449 kbps (56.1kB/s) 292 kbps (36.5kB/s) Share
Yesterday 20:17 469 kbps (58.6kB/s) 300 kbps (37.5kB/s) Share
Yesterday 19:08 459 kbps (57.4kB/s) 300 kbps (37.5kB/s) Share
Wednesday 19:00 546 kbps (68.3kB/s) 260 kbps (32.5kB/s) Share
Monday 23:01 688 kbps (86kB/s) 293 kbps (36.6kB/s) Share
Monday 13:54 732 kbps (91.5kB/s) 318 kbps (39.8kB/s) Share
Apr 27, 23:38 621 kbps (77.6kB/s) 323 kbps (40.4kB/s) Share
Apr 27, 20:24 767 kbps (95.9kB/s) 338 kbps (42.3kB/s) Share
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

That notice was put there, because it could not cope with the superfast fibre connections....
the speed tester is fairly accurate for "normal" wired connections to the broadband part of the landline telephone system.
Some points to note... when you change suppliers, and in particular, you are on a "new connection" ( i.e. moved house )... it takes about 10 to 14 days for the system to recognise the foibles of the line and settle down to give you a steady speed.... during this time, the router should be left switched on and connected to the mains 24/7 .... do not switch it off overnight...
make sure your router is connected to the master socket , i.e. where the phone line comes into the house... you may need a mains extender lead to provide power to that point, if it is not within reach of a mains wall socket.
If you have to use a phone extension,.... do not use the very flexible "phone extensions" ... the broadband signal will pick up lots of noise and interference on it... any extensions should be properly "hard wired" into the master socket, and terminate in a wall socket...
make sure you use a filter on any extension sockets.
Your line speed will also be determined by the actual distance from your home to the telephone exchange..... 
the nearer you are the faster will be the speed......
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Put your postcode into the box on this  site.......
http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/streetstats/
Might give you some idea of what others near you are getting..... ( not exhaustive... depends on people sending in their results....so if only a couple of bt and one from sky has sent in..you will not see Plusnet, or any other suppliers speeds)....
put yoour postcode in the box on this site...... to find your nearest exchange...
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
when result appears.... click on the underlined exchange name.... and a map of the area with the exchange pinpointed will appear.... you can make a "rough guess" on distance from that.... but.... the telephone line will not run in a straight line to your house  .... it could be considerably longer !..
VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

Thanks all for trying to help, I'm overwhelmed trying to open all these links lol, I have managed to get into my router settings, should I post the DSL information?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Victoria,
Before looking at speed testers, lets find out what your line is expected to do and what it is doing.  All of those figures look unreasonably low, the cause of which could be several / many issues.
Can you please put your details in here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php - and report back which services are available on your exchange 20CN and / or 21CN and the forecast speed.
Can you get the stats from your router and post them here, from that we can see how your line is performing against expectations and the level of errors you are seeing on the line.
Can you then do the BTw speed test, do the further diagnostics and report back the PROFILE figure
Can you look on the PlusNet portal and report back your "current speed" setting.
How to do all of the above can be found on the "speed problems" sticky at the top of this forum.

Until we can see what speed your line is expected to perform at, what it is actually performing at, what the error rate is and if the PN and BT profiles are aligned, running speed tests is wasting your time and bandwidth.  Once the above information is available, we will be able to advise how to improve matters.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

Townman, do you mean this?
Estimated line speed:
1.0Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-04-07 18:37:29
Current line speed:
0.8 Mb
VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

hope im doing this right
ADSL enabled: September 30, 2000
DSL Max enabled: March 31, 2006
21CN WBC (Broadband) Enabled
21CN due : (PSTN) info N/A
FTTC Available in some areas
SDSL enabled : Not Enabled
Broadband Access Market Broadband Access† Market 3
BT price band BTw Pricing Band Band A
VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 18:51:46
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 384 / 1,152
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 21.53 / 108.04
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.2 / 15.7
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 63.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 6.0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 5,776 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 815 / 4,517,305
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 657 / 56,743
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 65,096
VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

FAQ
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 0.75 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 0.32 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
TORPC
Grafter

Out of curiosity
Re-Run the test
And also
Do a quiteline test dialling 17070 to see if you have any noise on the line
But not at the same time Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Thank you that is the information we need
From the router stats you are a very long way from the exchange and the speed - assuming the distance is as it appears - is about right although there may be some possibility of improving it a bit
If you could post the result of this estimate - but only put in your post code not your telephone number http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
While you are getting that information can you advise whether you have a BT master socket with a removable lower section