cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help me in setting up a Belkin N150 router?

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Can anyone help me in setting up a Belkin N150 router?

Hi
I seem to be having problems re. setting up this particular router. Below are a few screenshots I took re. where I'm having difficulty.

(This is the second screen from the 'Wizard' setup).
Can I disable it altogether? - If not, do I need to fill out the 'NTP Server' box? - and with what values?
-------
The next screen is as follows:

Have I put the correct values in the necessary boxes? - And re. the password, I've just used 'admin'. Is that ok or do I need to use a specific one?
-------
The next screen is:

Which one do I select?
-------
And the final screen is:

After clicking on 'Finish' and waiting about 30 seconds, I get an 'unable to connect to a webpage' message (or words to that effect).
Thanks guys.
15 REPLIES 15
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Can anyone help me in setting up a Belkin N150 router?

You need to set the username and password to the one you use on the PlusNet Community site, More info about how here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/index.shtml?supporta=setupguides
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Correction
You need the password you use of the Main Plusnet Site - Not the Community site - and the username is username@plusdsl.net
Cagney1994
Rising Star

I did that and unfortunately it still wouldn't connect. And what about the security settings in the 3rd screenshot? do you know which one I'm supposed to select?
Also re. the 1st image; can I leave it as disabled or do I have to enable it?
mav:quote
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

As noted above, on your last screen where they say "PPP user name" and "PPP password" then these are your Plusnet account details which the router uses to connect through BT's broadband network into Plusnet.  The top ones,  user name and password without "PPP" are the user name and password that you will need to use when you log into the router.  Other settings look OK.  Wireless mode and security is up to you, but I'd choose WPA2(TKIP) for security.   
On the first screen for NTP server you can put "ntp.plus.net" or leave it disabled.
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Thanks 'aesmith' (and others). I'll try that and see what happens.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You should chose WPA2(AES) ideally, or at least WPA2 Mixed which would be better than WPA2(TKIP).
aesmith
Pro

Sorry showing my age there.  If all your devices support AES then that's preferable.
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Hi again.
After selecting WPA2 (AES), I get the following screen:

-------
What do I put in the 'Pre-Shared Key' box?
Thanks.
aesmith
Pro

That's your choice, effectively that's the password needed for devices to connect to your wireless network.  Don't use the same password as for admin access to your router, or the same as your Plusnet account password.
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Cheers.
And btw, do I have to do all the setup via ethernet or can I do it wirelessly? - The reason I ask is, the actual belkin website mentions the ethernet method >>> http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=10805
I'm assuming it's not mandatory?
cedlor
Grafter

Looks like you will have it all set up by ethernet and it will (should) retain those settings.
You can then unplug the ethernet and try to connect wirelessly - do not leave the ethernet connected.
Does it find plusnet in a list of available wireless connections  - you click on that and enter the password.
aesmith
Pro

There may be a couple of reasons.  (1) it may be that changing wireless settings could cause you to disconnect while you're making them, meaning you'd need to reconnect with the new settings and pick up where you left off.  (2) Some routers don't permit management access via wireless for security reasons, or don't permit it by default.    Of course it might be a simple as the wireless being switched off "out of the box" until you choose your settings.
I'd suggest setting up with a direct Ethernet cable in the first instance, then once it's up and running see whether you can login from wireless.
As already mentioned, try to avoid connecting by Ethernet and wireless at the same time, especially to a Windows PC as they get easily confused. 
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Thanks for the extra info. And I managed to connect wirelessly on the laptop via ethernet. The only problem is, other devices like the smartphone, ipad, and tablet aren't connecting. I've put the right password in but still nothing. The authentication keeps on failing.
Incidentally this same problem happened with the PN router (the Technicolor one).
Sad
----
EDIT: just realised I was putting in the wrong password  Embarrassed - I must have changed it when I was setting up the whole thing earlier.
Smiley
cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: Cagney1994
. And I managed to connect wirelessly on the laptop via ethernet.

That makes no sense - wireless is wire less - ethernet is a cable connection.
As I said ,you should not have the ethernet cable connected on the laptop if you are using wireless - At some point it will
probably cause a crisis, especially if using Windows.