Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone check this web site for me?

lorisarvendu
Grafter

Can anyone check this web site for me?

http://tardisbuilders.com
It's a forum for people who build life-size or model copies of Doctor Who's TARDIS.  I've been having problems accessing it for several months now.  The problems are that after browsing about 2 or 3 pages, the forum becomes unavailable. I then have to wait 5 to 10 minutes before it comes up again.
The url pings ok, it just won't appear in the browser.
1. It's not my PC.  We have 5 PCs in this house, ranging from Windows 7 to Linux, and once the web page is unreachable, it affects all PCs.
2. It's not the browser.  Once it's gone, it can't be reached from Opera, Firefox, IE8, IE7, or Dolphin (Linux).
3. It's not the router.  I can reboot or power-cycle my NetGear router and I still have to wait 5-10 minutes.
4. It's not the site.  I can open up a Remote Desktop to my work PC and the site is fine.  In fact the site stays up at work, no problems.
I think it's something to do with PN, but I don't know what.  Can anyone else check it out for me and see if the same thing happens on their connection?  Although you have to be a member to post, guests can browse.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
19 REPLIES 19
whelpton
Grafter

Re: Can anyone check this web site for me?

Ive just checked the site for you using our internet connection at Plusnet; it seems to load up fine and I cant see any issues with the site itself.
Have you tried using a proxy site to connect? If you can't access the site using the proxy then something is fishy there. You could also have had your IP blocked from the site either accidentally or on purpose.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

No problem from here.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
u123072
Grafter

Yes. I got a timed-out problem after viewing about 10 threads.
It took a couple of minutes to come back.
Perhaps there is a bandwidth limit on an IP address preventing more than a certain amount of traffic?
I don't know whether this limit is set by the site itself or by PN?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get timed out after visiting about 7 or 8 threads.
Very strange !  Undecided
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Quote from: u123072
Yes. I got a timed-out problem after viewing about 10 threads.
It took a couple of minutes to come back.
Perhaps there is a bandwidth limit on an IP address preventing more than a certain amount of traffic?
I don't know whether this limit is set by the site itself or by PN?

Yup, that's exactly what I'm getting.  If there is such a limit then it'll be by PN, not tardisbuilders, as the site works fine from work.  It's almost impossible for me to post any replies to threads from home as it takes two or three browses to get to the thread I want, then one more to open a Reply window.  That generally uses up the quota and I get a time-out when I try to post.
Don't know if I could raise this as a fault ticket, but maybe a PN rep will see this and comment.
A tortoise? What's that?
mssystems
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Bit of a long shot, but when the site times out, can you still ping the hostname?
whelpton
Grafter

If its an issue with your ip being restricted, try turning your router off and on to get a new IP assigned. Long shot but definatly worth a try.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

That seems to be covered by the OP's point 3.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=whelpton]Ive just checked the site for you using our internet connection at Plusnet; it seems to load up fine and I cant see any issues with the site itself.
But have you tried reading say a dozen threads ?  -  it is the reading of multiple threads that show the problem !

[quote=whelpton]You could also have had your IP blocked from the site either accidentally or on purpose.
It's not that because the OP said - "The problems are that after browsing about 2 or 3 pages, the forum becomes unavailable. I then have to wait 5 to 10 minutes before it comes up again. "
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
[quote=whelpton]Ive just checked the site for you using our internet connection at Plusnet; it seems to load up fine and I cant see any issues with the site itself.

But have you tried reading say a dozen threads ?  -  it is the reading of multiple threads that show the problem !

[quote=whelpton]You could also have had your IP blocked from the site either accidentally or on purpose.
It's not that because the OP said - "The problems are that after browsing about 2 or 3 pages, the forum becomes unavailable. I then have to wait 5 to 10 minutes before it comes up again. "

Also I raised the point in a thread on the forum itself a couple of months ago.  One member also on Plusnet reported the same problem, and the web admins confirmed that there was nothing in their logs with my IP on it.
Rebooting the router by the way doesn't refresh my IP as I have a static one.
A tortoise? What's that?
whelpton
Grafter

But have you tried reading say a dozen threads ?  -  it is the reading of multiple threads that show the problem !

I totally skipped over that. I feel like such an idiot.  Crazy
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Just viewed 20 to 30 threads (lost count past 20) and not had any problems whatsoever.
Left the site, then returned after a couple of minutes. Again no problems. Viewed a few threads, including one containing a considerable number of images.
Using Firefox 4.0.1 on Vista.
Huh
David
Andrew_B
Grafter

I've just tried this, opened about 20 threads, and it started to get slow/timed out on about tab 10.  Now I can't access the site at all.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Quote from: Andrew
I've just tried this, opened about 20 threads, and it started to get slow/timed out on about tab 10.  Now I can't access the site at all.

Would it be worth raising this as a fault ticket?  This behaviour doesn't manifest from work (a non-Plusnet network).
A tortoise? What's that?