cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Someone Tell Me the Best Way to Connect the Router with Extension?

GetThisBusOut
Dabbler

Re: Can Someone Tell Me the Best Way to Connect the Router with Extension?

Quote from: shure
Can I just add that BEFORE you remove the ADSL filter from the Master socket (or do anything with the wiring) you should power down your modem and router.  Leave them at least ten minutes before powering them back on again.  Don't just pull everything out of the socket as it could be viewed as a problem on your line and you might end up with a drastically reduced IP profile.  This happened to me last week.  Powering off as described above should prevent that

Doh!  Too late  Sad
I did wonder if I should turn it off or not.   I don't know what an IP profile is, but I'll cross that bridge if/when I come to it.  Lips_are_sealed
PeterLoftus, no our sky boxes aren't connected unless we plug them into the phone line.  Thanks for your reply  Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@shure,
Don't just pull everything out of the socket as it could be viewed as a problem on your line and you might end up with a drastically reduced IP profile.
Normally very good advice but in this case it won't make any difference since the IP profile is already about as low as it could go!
@GetThisBusOut, The sky boxes MUST be plugged in via a filter. For the time being you will have to connect the Sky boxes via the filter  at the end of the extension where the router is. If possible , can you leave the Sky boxes disconnected for a while ?
All these extension cables are really not good but lets see how your broadband works now we've got rid of the incorrect connection.
If possible can you post your router stats as described in 1) and current line speed as in 3) in the first post of this thread here

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If you need to plug the Sky boxes in near the master use a BT socket doubler in the master socket so that the filter is ONLY on the Sky box, not the extension lead to the modem/router.
There are loads on eBay/Amazon etc for about £2. Here's one design:
GetThisBusOut
Dabbler

Quote from: MisterW
@shure,
Don't just pull everything out of the socket as it could be viewed as a problem on your line and you might end up with a drastically reduced IP profile.
Normally very good advice but in this case it won't make any difference since the IP profile is already about as low as it could go!
@GetThisBusOut, The sky boxes MUST be plugged in via a filter. For the time being you will have to connect the Sky boxes via the filter  at the end of the extension where the router is. If possible , can you leave the Sky boxes disconnected for a while ?
All these extension cables are really not good but lets see how your broadband works now we've got rid of the incorrect connection.
If possible can you post your router stats as described in 1) and current line speed as in 3) in the first post of this thread here

I think you meant to put a link there somewhere?  Or is it me?  I'll keep the sky boxes unplugged, not bothered about them.
I've ordered the goodies!  15m of the cable that was linked to from shure's thread (from Tandy).  One of those two hole extension boxes, a krone clone punchdown tool and a bag of cable clips.  Have I forgotten anything?
HPSauce, that looks good, thank you.  I'm amazed at all these things you can get.
HPsauce
Pro

If you deal with Tandy I'm sure they sell those as well.  Wink
What you really need now though is a filtered faceplate, ideally an SSFP Mk3......
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I think you meant to put a link there somewhere?  Or is it me?
Oops :-[, I did http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GetThisBusOut
Dabbler

Is this what you wanted?  Router stats:
Uptime: 0 days, 1:10:57
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 42.65 / 301.39
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 13.9
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 4.0 / 5.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 15.3
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 30 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 67
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 1
And this is the speed:
Estimated line speed:
    8Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-12-29 10:39:26
Current line speed:
    0.5 Mb
I did these the other day before I started this thread.  The speed was the same.  The router stats were different, but I can't remember where I saved them to.  I'll have a look.
HPsauce
Pro

Holy Smoke!
Is the Telephone Exchange blocking your view?  Shocked
You should be screaming along at warp factor 11. That extra filter has really messed you up.  Crazy
Hopefully it will settle down (and speed up) in time, but it may need PN staff to do a reset on the line once all the wiring is done and dusted and the stats checked again.
What exchange are you on, that could be the best you can get on some.  Cry
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, that's what I wanted. It looks like removing the filter has sorted the problem , you are now synching much faster. Your IP profile has been reduced due to the problem though. Hopefully one of the Plusnet CRT staff will see this thread and do a line reset to gey your profile back up. You do seem to be on an adsl line ,
limited to 8Mb which is possibly down to limitations at your exchange. Do you know which telephone exchange you're on, don't post the number ( this is a public forum) just the exchange name.
Edit: HP types faster than me Smiley

GetThisBusOut
Dabbler

MisterW, my exchange name is ARDENTINNY.  It's about a five minute walk from here, don't know what this is in km's.
HPSauce,  why do I need that Mk3 VDSL plate, or was that a joke?  Crazy
I'm making the tea right now, so if I don't  reply to anyone for the next 40 minutes or so, that's why! 
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

OK, your exchange doesn't have 21cn so 8Mb is as fast as you'll get.

HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: GetThisBusOut
HPSauce,  why do I need that Mk3 VDSL plate, or was that a joke?   Crazy
Light-hearted maybe, but not a joke.
They are good for optimising the signal and simplifying the wiring, especially if you are adding your own extension wiring.
Given how close you are to the exchange (under 400 metres I'd guess) there's not much point in hyper-optimising though.
Sadly your exchange is ADSL1 only, so 8mbps is the best you will get.  Sad
With a faceplate there are separate (hidden) terminals for attaching an extension that will carry broadband and the front socket is automatically filtered for your Sky boxes etc, so with the cabling you are planning it would make tidy job.
GetThisBusOut
Dabbler

Right, I understand, thanks.
8mb might be slow to you, but I'd be delighted to get 8mb or so.  Right now I can't even open a web site if it's got a lot of photos without having to keep clicking on "try again" because I get timed out before it's loaded. 
Here's the stats before I started this thread, hope you can see them, I only did a screen shot, which I've attached (I hope).

HPsauce
Pro

Crazy
You might need assistance from PN staff to get the various systems updated to allow you to use the new speed.
If no-one picks up here raise a ticket and explain how there was a wiring problem that has been resolved and speeds have increased from 512kb to 8mb.
Put a link to this thread in the ticket as they might be a bit sceptical............  Wink
GetThisBusOut
Dabbler

OK, thank you HPSauce.  Smiley
Thanks to everyone else as well, especially MisterW.  You've all been very helpful and patient.