cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use these sockets for Plusnet Fibre?

Pesque
Dabbler

Can I use these sockets for Plusnet Fibre?

Hi,

I'll be moving into a new flat shortly. As it's quite an old building, I don't think I'm allowed to be drilling any holes into the walls. There's a Virgin cable there already (pictured). I'm wondering if I'd be able to use the same point to set up for Plusnet Fibre, which is what I have at my current flat.

I currently have around 6/7 months left on my contract - if there's no way to do this without drilling another hole, would I still be held to that contract?

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Can I use these sockets for Plusnet Fibre?

@Pesque Those don't look to me to be BT sockets, so I don't think they will be any good - I doubt those cables go anywhere near BT.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Pesque 

Are you talking about FTTC or FTTP. If the latter is it available at your new address.

Brian

Pesque
Dabbler

Just FTTC, that's what I have currently.

jab1
Legend

@Pesque Out of curiosity, are those the only sockets in the flat? If it is 'old', I would have thought there may be BT sockets around somewhere - unless the cable company used the same entry points for their service and scrapped the BT sockets?

John
Pesque
Dabbler

Yeah, they were the only ones. It is old, but recently renovated - maybe they got rid of some in the process?

jab1
Legend

Possibly, but to be honest those look 'old' to me - although the white one would possibly be serviceable for a Virgin connection - it certainly isn't a 'Virgin' box though.

What the red one is, is a mystery to me.

John
Pesque
Dabbler

Yeah, seems like I'll have to switch to Virgin then, though I'm reluctant. I think the red thing is unrelated - was just taking some quick photos during my meeting with the landlord!

jab1
Legend

Can you see any BT cables going into the building (from overhead lines)?

John
Pesque
Dabbler

I didn't notice when I was there. Though the landlord has just told me that he thinks there is a BT line to the house and that I'd be allowed to drill through a side wall rather than having cable on the front of the house - so maybe it's possible?

jab1
Legend

If there IS a BT line to the house, then depending on where the DP pole is, in relation to the building, it should be possible.

Can you use the 'address checker' on this site: BT Broadband to see what is says? A screen shot, with the address obscured, would help.

John
Pesque
Dabbler

Here you go, thanks!

The landlord is now not sure if there is a BT line somewhere in the building. The difficulty is that this flat only really has internal walls other than at the front (which is a no-no) and the back (a bathroom!) So it's back to seeming unlikely!

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Pesque 

You've posted on the wrong Forum so one of the Mods will probably move it.

I would have a good look for the BT socket.

Brian

jab1
Legend

@Pesque wrote:

Here you go, thanks!

The landlord is now not sure if there is a BT line somewhere in the building. The difficulty is that this flat only really has internal walls other than at the front (which is a no-no) and the back (a bathroom!) So it's back to seeming unlikely!

Yup, it does sound a little unlikely, although IF you could persuade him to allow a line through the front - it is only a very small hole - you would only be able to get 40/10 FTTC.

John
Pesque
Dabbler

Ah, thanks for all your help anyway!

And apologies if this is the wrong place - it seemed like the appropriate forum to me.