cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use both USB and Ethernet ?

Keithkkl
Grafter

Can I use both USB and Ethernet ?

Just wondering if I bought another PC if I would be able to connect to the internet on USB on my current computer (which I am am currently) and Ethernet on a new computer.
I know you can connect up to 4 PCs via Ethernet alone, but was wondering if you could connect to the internet on both USB and Ethernet.
I have a BT Voyager 210 which has both a USB and Ethernet port.
9 REPLIES 9
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Can I use both USB and Ethernet ?

Yes.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, I've done that using a Voyager 210. The only thing to bear in mind is that the USB connection cannot be on a Vista computer.
I don't think the USB drivers are compatible with Vista, and as far as I know there is no prospect of these being updated to make them so.
David
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: Keithkkl
I know you can connect up to 4 PCs via Ethernet alone, but was wondering if you could connect to the internet on both USB and Ethernet.

You can only connect up to 4 PCs via Ethernet if your router has 4 ethernet ports at the back.  As the Voyager 210 only has one ethernet port you can connect either a single PC to it via ethernet (and a single PC via USB), or you can buy a really cheap switch/router to increase the number of ports and connect more computers to it via ethernet.  The switch will act as a port extension/multiplier for the Voyager.  They litteraly throw them away at ebay . . .
There are also more tunes that you could play if you decided to use wireless connections (e.g. using one of your computers as a WiFi bridge, or buying a wireless access point), but that goes beyond your original question.
Hope this helps.  Smiley
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: spraxyt
Yes, I've done that using a Voyager 210. The only thing to bear in mind is that the USB connection cannot be on a Vista computer.

Can I check that I understand what you are saying?
I have a Voyager 210 and thinking of buying a laptop which will have Vista installed.  Are you saying that I can't connect the router to the laptop via USB?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: artmo
I have a Voyager 210 and thinking of buying a laptop which will have Vista installed.  Are you saying that I can't connect the router to the laptop via USB?

Yep. At least that's my understanding.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MickKi
Grafter

What's wrong with the ethernet port?
http://www.voyager.bt.com/selfhelp/shc/drivers.htm
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Yes, that makes it clear that the Voyager 210 connects only by ethernet to a Vista machine.  When Plusnet supplied my router they didn't know what OS I had on my PC or if I had an ethernet connection. Luckily I had WXP but what happens to all the people who sign up and have Vista but no ethernet?
As I'm going to buy a laptop shortly, is it normal for them to have ethernet or is it something I need to specify?
MickKi
Grafter

The ethernet port is faster than a USB port and does not place a demand on the CPU of the PC like the USB port does.  Also the USB can be flakey and drop the connection depending on the USB driver and the particular hardware.  If there is a choice then ethernet is the way to go - for the last 10 years or so at least.  Wink
You should check what you're buying.  These days a laptop should have as part of its motherboard (i.e. integral) a 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet port, WiFi, Bluetooth and perhaps a dialup modem (the latter can be optional and you may want to ask for it).
In addition, it may come with cardbus, or mini-card HSDPA, or 3G adaptors.
HTH.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

[quote
HTH.

yes it does.  Thanks for that Mick.