cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a Netgear dg834n Rangemax for FTTC (No WAN socket)

Flyboy72

Can I use a Netgear dg834n Rangemax for FTTC (No WAN socket)

Hello, I am confused. When I went though the signing process for Unlimited Fiber, the website suggested I could you my current Netgear. But my understanding now is the the BT Openreach bit of kit needs to connect to the router via a WAN connection. I can only see  4 LAN connections on the back of my router. Help!! Huh
3 REPLIES 3
njay
Grafter

Re: Can I use a Netgear dg834n Rangemax for FTTC (No WAN socket)

I am due to go to fibre too and currently have a tp-link 8960n. I thought the same but I have just found out in the online guide for mine that you can change any of the LAN ports to be an EWAN port which can then connect to the OR fibre modem. I expect the DG834 Rangemax will probably be the same so time to dig out the manuals Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

But my understanding now is the the BT Openreach bit of kit needs to connect to the router via a WAN connection.

That's correct. Your DG834n doesn't have a suitable WAN port I'm afraid. You could either source a suitable router yourself, you need what's typically called a 'cable' router OR you could ask for your order to be modified to add the PlusNet supplied router ( a TG582n with modified firmware ).
TBH I thought that ALL fibre orders automatically included a router...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Flyboy72

Thanks for your help guys