cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I improve signal strength?

freddfraser

Re: Can I improve signal strength?

Thanks for the replies.
I've gone through the various steps but cannot get it to my Plusnet password.
Presumably the Plusnet password I should be using is the one I log into this site with for instance? I have also tried my password with and without adding @plusdsl.net and it still doesn't connect. From memory, I think the light glows yellow, but I'll check tonite.
Am I missing something with my password?  Attached is an image of the BT Hub screen with my attempted user/passwords
I also read elsewhere that it is best to set the time/date to manual, I've done this but it doesn't make any difference.
I'll try the suggested 'test' passwords and see how I get on.
Many thanks, Marc
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

When you log on to your account via the Plusnet web site, the credentials you use are your User Name and your Password.
The credentials a router needs to connect you to the internet are your User Name followed by @plusdsl.net (no spaces) and your Password.
On the basis of your screen shot, your user name is marcadams (and the password is not shown).  If you go to the main Plusnet web site (not this forum web site) you should be able to log in as marcadams and using the same password.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's the password you use to get on to the Member Centre (https://portal.plus.net/index_portal.html) you should be using, not the one to get on to these forums which should be different.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
freddfraser

Thanks Jelv
I use the same password for both the Member Centre and this forum - I'm a creature of habit when it comes to passwords!
I'll give everything another go tonight,
Marc
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

But that's probably not a good thing to admit to on a public forum.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Tut, tut!
Can I recommend http://keepass.info/ With that you can have different passwords for everything and only have to remember the one to get in to KeePass itself.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
freddfraser

Thanks all for your advice.
I finally cracked it last evening.
The user and passwords were all correct, the problem seemed to be the date/time. I changed it to manual again and all now works.
I did previously change the time settings but I don't think I saved them so the time etc reverted back to Auto.
I now have a much better signal and range now that I am using the HH3 again as opposed to the Plusnet router.
Re my password, they are consistent for Plusnet but are not the same as I use for other uses etc (ie email, shopping and banking etc). I will however check out keepass as it sounds pretty useful.
Once again, many thanks to you all for your helpful advice.
Regards,
Marc
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

+1 here for Keepass. It also works across multiple platforms, so you can keep a copy of the password database on all your devices.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I'm glad you got that sorted and I hope the Plusnet staff took note of this thread.  The Plusnet-supplied router comes in for a fair amount of criticism and it must be hard to tell how much of that is justified.  But you have a good concrete example of inferior wireless performance when compared to another well-known router.