cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I improve signal strength?

freddfraser

Can I improve signal strength?

Hi
I've recently moved across to Plusnet from BT. Previously using the BT HomeHub I had sufficient signal strength to allow me to be able to use my laptop etc anywhere in the house, however with the Plusnet router I find the signal range is much more limited and cannot use my devices in such places as bedrooms or conservatory. I live in a largish house, but by no means is it huge!
Does anyone know if there is a way to increase signal strength so that I can use my laptop etc in the places I used to be able to use them. For reference, the router is positioned pretty much in the middle of the house in a study just off of the hallway.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Marc
23 REPLIES 23
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Can I improve signal strength?

It is possible to use a BT Home Hub with Plusnet if BT did not make you send it back.
freddfraser

Hi Richard
Thanks for responding.
I did try the BT Homehub but it wouldn't generate a signal at all after switchover to Plusnet. I guess there must somehow be a signal that comes down the line with a BT connection that recognises the BT box and once switched to Plusnet it doesn't then work.
Marc
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Which homehub was it?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
freddfraser

The BT Homehub was the later black one and is/was about 18months old
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Hopefully someone here will know if the HH3 can be used as a standard ADSL router on Plusnet and post the instructions on how to configure it.
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

I don't know if it helps but someone on ThinkBoradband states that they have got a HH3 to work on PlusNet.
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/t/4089478-bt-home-hub-3-different-isp.html
Richard
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I've been using a HH3 for ages on my Plusnet connection. You have to log in to the GUI and change the username/password to your Plusnet details as follows:
1) Connect the HH3 to the line and connect your computer to the HH3
2) Open your web browser and navigate to http://192.168.1.254/ - enter the router password if prompted at any point in the next stages
3) Check the username - by default it will be bthomehub@btbroadband.com or something similar
4) Click "Settings", then "Advanced Settings" then "Continue to Advanced Settings"
5) Click on "Broadband", then on "Internet"
6) If your status shows as "Connected" you need to click "Disconnect". At this point you can enter your Plusnet username/password, and click "Connect"
By this time you should be connected to the internet.
freddfraser

Thanks Brian
I still have the BT Homehub so will give this a go over the weekend.
If this doesn't work, is there any sort of booster that can be purchased that will increase the signal/range of the Plusnet router?
Regards,
Marc
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You could get a Wireless Access Point (WAP) to use instead of the PN router's wireless (and many ADSL routers can be configured to work as WAPs).
freddfraser

Many thanks - I will do a search over the weekend
Marc
freddfraser

Jaggies
Apologies but I've been out of the country so unable to do much until now.
I tried the HH3 but for whatever reason I could not configure it to work with Plusnet - I may have been doing something wrong but went through all the instructions etc.
Any other ideas on boosting signal strength or using the HH3?
Since switching to Plusnet my signal strength (and speed) has been very poor
Regards,
Marc
racingsteve

Hi Marc,
I'm a new PN customer - only got my internet today!
But like you I'm finding the PN router is very poor at signal strength.
I used to have a Tompson (?) router from Ebuyer and the signal was a always at the top.
I've spoken to an expert in these things and it's down to us, the end user.
Apparently we are hopeless at  web security so the ISPs have stepped in to save us.
They, the ISPs, are setting the routers up with more and more security 'to protect us'.
I'm sure if you use Google you'll be able to find a way to sort out your problem.
Steve
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: freddfraser
I tried the HH3 but for whatever reason I could not configure it to work with Plusnet - I may have been doing something wrong but went through all the instructions etc.

What happens when you try the HH3? Does it fail to authenticate (broadband light is red rather than blue)? If so, double check you are using the correct Plusnet username/password combination.
Also try logging on with the following test user details - bt_test@startup_domain for the username, and anything you like for the password - suggest "ADSL" (minus quotes). If that works you need to try the plusnet test username - bt_test_user@plusdsl.net (same password). If that fails authentication there's probably a fault, however if you do connect OK with the Plusnet router, it's much more likely to be that you are entering the Plusnet username/password incorrectly. Remember your password is case sensitive.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Jaggies
2) Open your web browser and navigate to http://192.168.1.254/ - enter the router password if prompted at any point in the next stages

2a) You may be prompted to change the router password, which is written on the little insert label, to a new password of your choosing.  If you are not prompted to do this it means you have already changed the password.  If you cannot remember the password then reset the router by poking the unwound end of a paper-clip down the reset hole.