Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have Interleaving turned off/on?

moffat2000
Grafter

Can I have Interleaving turned off/on?

Hello all.
I am currently in the training period for my new Plusnet connection on ADSL2.
I am in no way an expert on these kind of things but I believe that by turning interleaving either on or off I may see a faster sync speed.
My current router stats are
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 14:53:51
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 666 / 4,473
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 50.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.0 / 8.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 17,270
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 52
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 456 / 41

I am currently receiving roughly the same speeds that I did with Tiscali on ADSL MAX. I was hoping for a bit of an increase.
What do people out there think?
Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Can I have Interleaving turned off/on?

A line with 50dB attenuation will unfortunately show limited sync-speed improvement from ADSL2+ compared with ADSL1, perhaps 300kbps, though that is worth having. The Internode plot on this page illustrates the position. Kitz's calculator here provides some numbers.
With regard to interleaving, at these levels I doubt it would significantly affect sync speed, more the speed of actual data transfer. In fact that might be better with interleaving on because fewer uncorrectable transmission errors result. With interleaving off all errors require packets to be retransmitted to correct them, effectively reducing the rate at which useful data is transmitted.
Interleaving has a more significant effect on latency, and gamers are usually keen to have it turned off, even at the expense of some line instability (disconnections). Unless you are a serious gamer I suggest leaving it on is probably the better option for you.
In any case to avoid confusing the DLM it is best not to tinker with the setting during your training period. Post training the experience of others on ADSL2+ has been that the 21CN DLM can be quite aggressive and leaving it to sort itself out is often the best approach.
Opinions, not facts but I hope you find the comments useful.
David
moffat2000
Grafter

Re: Can I have Interleaving turned off/on?

Thanks for getting back to me. It was very informative and useful.
I'll leave things as is until the end of my training period and see where I am then.
Cheers.