cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get my target noise margin reduced to 3db?

Axolotl
Grafter

Can I get my target noise margin reduced to 3db?

Hi,
my line seems to be very stable with a 6db noise margin, and stays up without disconnections for weeks on end (except when I have restarted my router myself or Plusnet has dropped the connection during maintenance - 1000 hours was the longest period without a disconnection.)
I monitor the noise margin using Routerstats, and it shows a flat line at 6db with a Very occasional drop to 3.
My line stats at the moment are sync: 14569 kbps down 1111 kbps up, attenuation 21db down 6db up. Noise margin 6db
When I was with BT, DLM eventually lowered my noise margin to 3db then back to 6db after a line fault that was fixed, but Plusnet seems to be stuck on 6db. (Have been with them since October last year).
I get consistent throughput of 12.4 Mbps / 0.95 Mbps using JD Auto speed tester.
Is it possible to get Plusnet to force a change to a 3db noise margin to squeeze another 0.5 Mbps out of this line?
I have asked technical support today and they just said DLM will take care of it. It seems to me it  hasn't...
9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Can I get my target noise margin reduced to 3db?

Hi Axolotl,
I'll give this a go for you. Please bear in mind there is a slight risk of this making the connection unstable and if it did we're heading into a 3 day weekend which could mean any further posts might not be picked up until Tuesday. Support are obviously available as always in the meantime but just wanted to make you aware of that first.
Let me know if you want me to do this now or if you'd rather wait until after the weekend.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Axolotl
Grafter

Adam, I didn't pick this up 'til late on Friday, so  sent you a PM with my ID and phone line details asking for this too be done after the bank holiday.
Any progress? I rebooted my router yesterday and got a different IP address, but still the same 6db target.
Thanks.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Axolotl,
Sorry for the lack of communication about this so far but our suppliers ordering system which we rely on to submit SNR reset's was down most of yesterday and is still affected today. I have a reminder to prompt me to do this later for you assuming the relevant system is back up. I'll keep you posted either way.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Axolotl
Grafter

Thank you.
I wasn't sure what to expect.
It's o.k. -  I can wait.  Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

That's been put through for you Smiley
Axolotl
Grafter

Yup, my router resynched at 16447 Mbps down 1091 Mbps up. 3db / 6db noise margin. 21db / 6db attenuation.
Now I just need to wait for DLM or whatever to catch up and push my IP profile up to match.
Thanks.
Axolotl
Grafter

Just a quick update.
My router has been stable at 3 db since the change, and after LCP went down and back up at 01.45 this morning JDAST speed tester is now showing a consistent  13.9 Mbps download thoughput.
I assume the LCP down was when DLM changed the IP profile?
Anyway, that's a 1.5 Mbps improvement against the download speeed when the target noise margin was 6db.
That'll do me nicely.
Thank you very much.  Cheesy
Axolotl
Grafter

Grin Just to say I got to 1,001 hours up time on my router today without any problems since it reconnected after my target noise margin was reduced to 3db. Same IP address, same sync. speed etc.
I think that may be a record (for me at least),
I guess I have a pretty good and stable line now.
Let's hope Openreach don't put their foot through a cabinet anytime soon... Roll_eyes
Thanks again to the PN person who fixed it for me.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Axolotl,
Glad to hear that's done the trick! Smiley
Let us know if anything changes and you notice a drop at all!