cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get my line re-profiled please?

kirkthorpe

Can I get my line re-profiled please?

I'm on a long line, never been capable of more than 2Mbps but since we switched from Sky, the line profile has dropped to 1.4:
Link Information
Uptime: 4 days, 17:46:33
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 1,674
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 2.65 / 19.10
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 40.2 / 67.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.1 / 6.3
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3,384 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 253,847
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2,529 / 8,766
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1,146 / 42,292

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
6.99 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.99 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.48 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.57 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.57Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

I know the line can be stable at a higher rate and give me download speeds of 210KB/s, so I assume the DLM worked out a little on the cautious side. Is there any chance a techie could set my profile a little higher? For the avoidance of doubt, we've had several Openreach broadband engineer visits to try and improve the speed (since it should be better given the line length), but they've essentially found no fault with the line. The only reason the speed isn't better (and FTTC estimates are only 3Mb...) is due to aluminium cable in the ground. Although, one engineer told me that officially it doesn't exist Wink
5 REPLIES 5
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Can I get my line re-profiled please?

Hi kirkthorpe,
I've just run through a few tests on the line and the good news is that you aren't banded however your sync rate dropped from 1681 to 1474 on the 29/07/14 due to DLM picking up on a slight increase in errors. In addition to this you also have interleaving set to low on the line to help reduce the errors so everything looks as should be expected when looking at the line stats.
Unfortunately we're unable to request DLM resets as this isn't something the supplier offers at the moment although we are working with them to develop a tool for this.
Given the slight increase in errors I would suggest we wait for the DLM to pick the speed of its own accord however if this continues to sit at the lower speed it may be worth us going down the route of increasing the interleaving to see if this will reduce the errors enough to give the DLM a kick. Ideally this will sort itself out over the course of the coming week and we won't need to enforce additional interleaving to counteract it.
kirkthorpe

I see, shame that can't be done but many thanks for the full explanation. I'll come back in a week if there's no change Smiley
kirkthorpe

Downstream speed is 1743 today, connected for 1d16h. The last drop was due to my 2yr old pulling the plug out, but the line certainly looks to be stable. Now, is there any way to get it back to a 2Mb sync by changing things at the ISP end?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Adam
Unfortunately we're unable to request DLM resets as this isn't something the supplier offers at the moment although we are working with them to develop a tool for this.

Since when? This is ADSL right? It's always been possible previously to reset the DLM for ADSL connections.
However, resetting the DLM would very likely accomplish nothing in this case. Given the line attenuation, there is probably very little that can be done to improve the speed. Sky would typically have their own equipment at the exchange, which could account for the slight difference in performance between Sky and Plusnet (using BTWholesale equipment at the exchange). I suppose one option to consider is setting your modem/router to use ADSL1. Some people might consider ADSL1 to be better for long lines, personally I don't think it's so clear cut, ADSL1 might achieve a slightly higher speed, but ADSL1 might not cope with the errors as well as ADSL2 can.
kirkthorpe

You know I did think that was odd, especially considering the close relationship between Plusnet and BTWholesale you'd think it was easy. Hadn't considered that the Sky equipment was simply better, but I suppose it could explain everything. When I tried my Netgear DG834 (old Sky router) on this line, the sync was <500 so the combination of modem chip and exchange equipment must be very sensitive with this line.