cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get BBYW on BT Basic (replaces Light User Scheme)?

m063
Grafter

Can I get BBYW on BT Basic (replaces Light User Scheme)?

I know that it was not possible to get ADSL on the BT Light User Scheme.
I understand that scheme is being (sort of) replaced by BT Basic (leaflet is here, but is now to be available only to those on specific benefits).
That leaflet doesn't mention ADSL. Can I assume that means that BBYW (probably option 1) could be provided on a line with BT Basic?
(I'm advising a neighbour who is currently on the LUS. BT Wholesale availability check says there is an incompatible service on the line, which I am assuming is LUS).
10 REPLIES 10
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Can I get BBYW on BT Basic (replaces Light User Scheme)?

I can't answer your question tbh, I do have a suggestion if you can't use ADSL with BT Basic.  The Plusnet Essentials package would work out at £2.50 a month more than BT Basic and BBYW Option 1.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

James
Grafter

I'm not sure.
Given it's replaced LUS I wouldn't have expected it to be compatible.  But I'll see if our Product Team can ask the question of BT.
m063
Grafter

Quote from: pjmarsh
The Plusnet Essentials package would work out at £2.50 a month more than BT Basic and BBYW Option 1.

Yes, thats a possibility, but I think he will need a wireless router, so the BBYW Option 1 offer looks attractive.
m063
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
....  I'll see if our Product Team can ask the question of BT.

A helpful person on Thinkbroadband has pointed me to the Which site here which states that broadband users are eligible for BT Basic.
But it would be very helpful if you would get confirmation from BT themselves.
m063
Grafter

My neighbour has confirmed with BT that he can have broadband with BT Basic.
However, he has concluded that he will not migrate from the LUS to BT Basic (possibly because of the restrictions on BT Basic, I haven't asked).
He will therefore go for either Plusnet Essentials or BBYW Option 1 plus Homephone.
Are there any issues with Plusnet migrating from Light User Scheme to Homephone?
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Because we can't do Light User Scheme and we only do like for like transfers, your neighbour would need to get BT to remove Light User Scheme first, prior to our being able to place an order.
I hope that's okay.
m063
Grafter

That disappointing. I encouraged him to go with Plusnet because I told him you took care of everything.
I'll have to see what he says.
m063
Grafter

He'll ask BT to remove the Light User Scheme tomorrow morning. Lets hope they don't try to charge him, or try to get him to sign up to another fixe length contract.
Neither would surprise me.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

My sister was on BT's LUS and her move to Plusnet Essential was pretty painless. Once she got BT to take her off LUS it seemed like no time before she was with PlusNet. Hope your neighbour's move goes as smoothly.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
m063
Grafter

BT has removed LUS overnight. It seems my neighbour will be eligible for BT Basic, but apparently it isn't yet available (??). He has decided to keep BT as his phone provider for now and move to BT Basic when available. So we'll go with BBYW Option 1; ordering today. Thanks for your help.