cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I connect my wireless router to my network hub via Wi-Fi

Pictureman1
Grafter

Can I connect my wireless router to my network hub via Wi-Fi

As a result of a recent question tests have shown I really need to move my modem/router from its existing position at a slave bt socket to the location of the master socket, the problem is the current location uses the router as the network hub for 2 desktop computers and a NAS.  Ideally I need to create a Wi-Fi link from the BT master socket location to the existing hub location, can anyone suggest a viable soloution to this problem.
I have considered, Homehub not viable as the locations are on 2 different ring mains, ethernet cable not practical due to routing problems, what I need is to be able to pick up the Wi-Fi signal from the router in a unit which would then provide network cable feeds to the 3 existing units.
All suggestions gratefully received.
65 REPLIES 65
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Can I connect my wireless router to my network hub via Wi-Fi

Hi,
You'd need a wireless access point set to client mode - any will work as long as it has that option. That way you can set the bridge up where your router used to be and plug it into a switch, then anything else plugged into the switch will be bridged by the wireless Smiley
Hope that helps.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've run homeplugs on different ring mains with one of the units also plugged in to a 4 gang trailing lead and had a perfectly good result - certainly faster than you could ever hope to get using wireless!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pictureman1
Grafter

Hi Matt
Thank you for that, thought there must be a way over the problem but the answers from the "sheds"was not at all helpful, bit bereft of small shops locally but now found one tucked away when I spoke to them on the phone they said I could use Homeplug as suggested by jelv so, will likely go down that line as everyone say it is faster and more reliable.
Hi jelv
Thanks for that comment, as I said above that had been put to me by a local small dealer he said that provided both rings terminated in the same consumer unit I would have no problem, your reply gives a welcome confirmation, so am going to give it a try.
Regards
jelv
Seasoned Hero

These are the ones I'm using: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you wanted to go with the wireless method.
I would first get a suitable ethernet switch for the distant end, and connect that to the existing equipment, sited in the most convenient location.
I would suggest a Netgear GS205 or GS208 switches, they are cheap and work well.
To bridge the wireless connection, I would recommend a Netgear WNCE2001.
Just set it up (initially connected to a PC) and then plug the ethernet port into your new switch, and you are ready to go.
These bridges are nice and small, and can be located somewhere in the room in a place where best wireless reception is found.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Why do you need to move from a secondary socket to the Master in the first place is the real question? If it's because of some internal wiring issue, then you are unlikely to get the best from your set up unless that is resolved. Is the Master socket one of these?
Pictureman1
Grafter

First my thanks to jelv & purleigh for their posts will look at both options.
Hi Anotherone
Yes it is the split BT master socket, to which I have fitted an iPlate in addition I have now removed the bell wires at all points in the system, if however you have some additional suggestions to improve my download speed with my existing setup it would be most appreciated.
The reason for wanting to move the router to the master socket was the results of an earlier thread which showed about a 20% increase if the router was placed at the master socket.  This is the earlier thread which gives the background to tihis. http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114225.0.html
As I said befor if there are any further suggestions then they are most welcome.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Were any of the stats you gave using the test socket inside the master socket (when using that the extension socket should be dead)?
If that gives you a worth while increase in sync speed you should use a filtered master socket which totally isolates the internal wiring from the ADSL rather than an iPlate.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you are going to move your router to the Master Socket, don't use an iPlate, use a top quality filter like one of these that can be fitted interstitially http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interstitial-Faceplate-Replaces-BT-Compatible/dp/B006VX2P1M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...
But no point in doing this unless you see a speed improvement if your router is connected to the Test Socket
Anotherone
Champion

I wouldn't necessarily buy that one from that source RR, there are some about not as good a quality - not necessarily a reflection on that particular one, but as you have said, it depends on the sync speed at the test socket.
Hi Picturteman1,
jelv's first question will be key, and any extension socket(s) should be dead. I've just read your previous thread, you talked about an "Entry Point" wall socket, is that what you meant by the Test socket, which is the one behind the lower front plate of the Master socket. If it's not that, could you describe in a bit more detail.
As for the second point, that could depend on the standard of the cable on the internal wiring. I presume then that you now only have wires connected to terminals 2 & 5. Do you remember what colour the wires were that were connected, not only from the master to the first extension, but to all the extensions?
As you are on a very long line there, 2 very important tips for you -
First, if you are planning on doing anything that involves a loss of sync with the exchange, do it in daylight,  generally between an hour after sunrise to an hour before sunset when noise levels tend to be at their lowest so your get the best sync speed.
Secondly, use this Disconnect method -
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait about a minute and then power down the Modem/Router. After about another minute you can unplug it from the line.
Do whatever is needed, but stay offline for at least 10 minutes. When you re-connect and power up, Login to the Modem/Router and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, then leave it for the rest of the day. This method is to help stop the Exchange DLM from thinking your sync loss was a dropped connection.
If you have a modem/router that doesn't have an interface for you to drop the PPP session, then pull the power plug and wait a minute or two before unplugging from the line.
One further point, especially applicable to very long lines, you will get very small differences in sync speed every time you sync, so just because you get a marginally better sync speed in one situation, it doesn't necessarily mean that situation is better than another situation.
PS. You can do a Disconnect & Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
PPS. An 'i'-plate has a common-mode filter in it, which a lot of other filters & filtered faceplates do not, so I wouldn't go rushing to get rid of it on a very long line, unless it's justified from other tests.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Anotherone
I wouldn't necessarily buy that one from that source RR,...

No indeed, but I did say 'like' that one and I have no particular reason to doubt the quality from that source.
Quote from: Anotherone
PPS. An 'i'-plate has a common-mode filter in it, which a lot of other filters & filtered faceplates do not, so I wouldn't go rushing to get rid of it on a very long line, unless it's justified from other tests.

I'm thinking of a particular house I visited where some extension sockets were inaccessible so I could not remove the bell wire (if fitted).  The internet performance was still very poor with an iPlate fitted but vastly better with an interstitial 'VDSL' interstitial filter of the type I suggested.
Anotherone
Champion

Well of course it would have been RR - in cases where the wiring is not CW1308 standard - if such wiring is not filtered it will affect the Broadband.
That is a totally different issue from the benefits of a common-mode filter, especially so on long lines.
Edit: And just to point out whilst we are at it - even filtered, any insulation problems on extension wiring might affect broadband.
Pictureman1
Grafter

Hi And thank you all for your responses, I will certainly take on board your suggestions in going forward, in particular the correct sequence for moving equipment locations.
To answer your question jelv yes results were logged in the master socket I repeat the previous results with a little more explanation.
1)
Desktop system
Belkin router:-   DL-UL  1.3/0.70   Margin  6/5   Attn  63/40
B/T speedtest:-   DL-UL   0.70/0.55
2)
Laptop
Belkin Router:-   DL-UL   1.3/0.70   Margin  6/3   Attn  69/39
B/T speedtest:-  DL-UL   0.7/0.50

Linksys Router:-DL-UL  1.3/0.70   Margin 5/3   Attn  69/39
B/T speedtest:-  DL-UL   0.70/0.55
All the above results taken at the extension socket.
3)
The following results taken at the entry point wall socket
Linksys router:- DL-UL  1.66/.71   Margin 6/5   Attn  63/41
B/T speedtest:-  DL-UL  0.66/0.60
4)
The following at the master socket
Linksys router:-  DL-UL 1.7/0.70   Margin 6/5   Attn 63/40
B/T speedtest:-   DL-UL  0.66/0.60

1)  Shows the normal configuration of desktop system at the slave socket.  2)  Shows the same router now attached to a laptop computer via a network cable, the second set of figures in 2) shows the results with the laptop connected with the network cable to a Linksys router and the slave socket.  The object of this was to prove that although using different equipment no significant change in the results was occuring.
3)  The laptop is now at the wall socket at the location of the  incoming cable.  4)  The system is now attached to the BT test socket.
I hope this answers your question jelv, and certainly if as a result anyone can add to their previous comments it would be great, thank you all
jelv
Seasoned Hero

When you are swapping things around like that it is absolutely pointless looking at the speed achieved by a speed test (only the IP Profile reported by the diagnostic test is of any value).
This is because it takes the Plusnet current line speed some hours to catch up with the changed sync speed and IP profile.
Was test 3 with the iPlate in place? If so to get the best you need the filtered master as suggested.