cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Anyone Please Advise?

baldrick
Grafter

Can Anyone Please Advise?

I've been to see a friend today who is complaining of slow speeds. Running the TBB Speedtester consistently gives the attached results. I have tried a gateway hop and it makes no difference. He is using Windows 10.
8 REPLIES 8
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Can Anyone Please Advise?

First of all : Is he conencting via a wired or wireless connection? I hope it is the latter for testing purposes
He needs to access the router and see what the router registers as the sync speed
He needs to access his ISP's account and see what the ISP says he should be connecting at.
He should run a BT wholesale connection test here http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and follow the instructions
Good Luck
GPS
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi baldrick. Given that the x6 speed result looks as though it might be pretty near what is assumed to be normal, it looks as though this could be a case of congestion, but from the way you've worded your post I'm not so sure. What time of day was the test run? Are the results similar 24/7? How long has this been happening/when did it start/have there been any changes to the setup?
Checking the xDSL stats would enable one to establish how well the connection to the exchange is performing, but you need to get the BT IP Profile by running the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just the Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test . This will indicate the current maximum expected speed as well as the achieved speed.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results (no need to grab an image). The Current Line speed (Login required) should match the BT IP Profile.
baldrick
Grafter

Thank you both for taking an interest. This is an ADSL2+ line and 20Megs is the normal speed.
I got my friend to run the BTw Speedtest a few days ago when he started complaining about speed and this is the results as reported to me then. I have not yet had the opportunity of repeating these.
On the BT Wholesale test using ethernet (wireless off)  the downs were:
7.19    18.62    19.10  7.23
ups were:    1.05      0.87      1.03      0.95  the latency ranged47.50
to 40.25
On the Further Test with telephone number entered  the results were GREEN STRIPS 18.29 down  IP Profile 19.39
                            0.99 up          IP Profile 0.83

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Well,  those are not too bad, depending on what you compare it with . Better than I get anyway. Can you be more specific about low speeds? What does he mean? web site loading, streaming video etc ? If sites are takign a while to load it may be a different problem.
I agree with Anotherone that it could be a case of congestion at specific times of day. Or it could be the computer he's using. To test this you wil need to try altenative machine and see if the problems remain
The simplest way to check the congestion matter out is to have something montoring the line. I use the Sam Knows White box - which your friend will need to apply for
https://www.samknows.com/meet-the-whitebox, but there are other ways.
Anyone got any other suggestions?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It's of course important to be certain that nothing else is using the connection when running the test - no automatic updates going on, backups to any cloud storage etc. Run both the Btw test and the TBB test, do a few at off-peak times as well.
If the TBB result is similar at off-peak times, I'd be inclined to be looking at any changes to hardware or software that may have taken place since before the problem was noticed.
Also try disabling things like AV and Firewalls temporarily to be sure they aren't interfering with throughput.
How is your friend seeing the impact of the slower speeds? Affecting streaming or some other usage?
What modem/router is you friend using? If it can be set to respond to WAN pings, running a TBB BQM is an easy thing to do and usually very good at highlighting congestion issues and packet loss.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Particularly odd is that the x1 speed is exactly one thirteenth (average) of the x6 and it's almost dead flat (steady consistent speed).
If this were congestion then the x1 might be as low as 1/6th of the x6.  I'm not aware of the TBB x1 custom protocol ever being throttled (rate limited) but it could be a lower QOS priority (I'm still unsure how that would lead to the result seen though).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Is your mate with Plusnet?
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
baldrick
Grafter

Thanks for the input. I will now investigate further.
MattyC: Yes he's with Plusnet.