cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable Query (ADSL - DSL)

NatTheGooner
Grafter

Cable Query (ADSL - DSL)

Hi, we're getting fibre in two weeks and I've just got the router today.
Can I still use my existing shielded 10m cable that connects my current ADSL router to the phone line.
(I've got a question about the router too, but I'll post that separately)
thanks
Nathan
8 REPLIES 8
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Cable Query (ADSL - DSL)

No,because the BT fibre connection is via a supplied modem which will need to be connected to your Technicolor  router via ethernet cable.
NatTheGooner
Grafter

Oh OK
Can I use the existing cable to connect the Modem to the phone socket?
It's nicely hidden - from the socket behind a sofa and behind a skirting board...
it would be a pain to swap it.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Not sure whether the BT modem has a special cable -also whether there is a max.length -suspect that it isn't a "standard" cable tho because the BT engineer has to fit a VDSL faceplate to your master socket -sure someone who has actually got fibre will be along shortly!
NedLudd
Grafter

I recently moved my modem & router. The modem was originally on an OR extension (hard wired from the back of the faceplate) to a different room.
I re-sited the kit to alongside the faceplate and just used an old phone cable I had with the right little connectors on, to connect the modem to the faceplate.
Everything works fine and my speed is not affected!
Geoff,
York.
NatTheGooner
Grafter

that sounds promising
thanks everyone.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You can use the existing cable as long it is an RJ11.  This will plug into the upper part on the new faceplate and connect to the DSL port on the modem where the cable ends.  The maximum cable length for not the speed to drop is 30 metres.   If you buy a BT homehub 5 you can bypass the modem and connect straight to Hub 5 as the Hub 5 is VDSL integrated.   There should be at least 2 power sockets where the cable ends one for router and other for OR modem
Hope this helps
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NatTheGooner
Grafter

thanks - it is an shielded RJ11.
I'd rather have an all-in-one router/modem but the prices seem quite high...
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

There is a hub 5 on ebay for around £60 this is a bargain.  But i'm not getting as it will be free for me later in year so will wait
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up