cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabinets installed outside exchange, FTTC possible?

Barrytrcy
Grafter

Cabinets installed outside exchange, FTTC possible?

We are on the Llangoed (WNLAD) exchange and unfortunately have an exchange only line. The exchange is fibre enabled on one cabinet as of this week. Over the past couple of days two cabinets have been installed in front of the exchange and I understand that this is a possible solution for exchange only lines so what I'm wondering (and hoping) is if this means that exchange only lines could possibly become fibre enabled via FTTC or even FTTP? Is it normal for these cabinets to be installed in front of a fibre enabled exchange? Thanks.
Here's a picture for reference:

(Sorry if this was the incorrect section)
2 REPLIES 2
x47c
Grafter

Re: Cabinets installed outside exchange, FTTC possible?

Spot on!
Looks like a newly installed standard BT PCP on the left and a Huawei 98 line FTTC fibre cabinet on the right.
This indeed sounds a logical solution to EO lines
pj2014
Grafter

Re: Cabinets installed outside exchange, FTTC possible?

Oh god, I hope so! We are stuck on an EO line too and have been told no fibre (or at least I think that's what the BT chap meant) 'Uneconomical to do so' 'no street cabinet' 'not enough properties to make it viable'...  these were the sound bites from BT. I have been hunting around for our street cabinet and have never found it, so I assume we are on an EO line.
If not, will have to wait till line rental gets cheaper than <£5 (I can dream!!) and have a second line + adsl on that line too.