cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabinet upgrade.

Devonian
Grafter

Cabinet upgrade.

2 years ago my exchange was upgraded for fibre, since then the cabinet availability date has dropped back more and more and more.
Once the date is 4 weeks from activation, it is extended by 6 months.
Now however, the date is still showing as 31st March 2014 on the dslchecker website.
I'm taking bets on the date extending further..
Figures crossed though, I have only been waiting (im)patiently for 2 years... especially as cab 21 is the only cabinet connected to the Paignton exchange left to be enabled!
Just my luck!  Angry
30 REPLIES 30
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Cabinet upgrade.

Hi Devonian,
I've had a look for you and we can also see the planned availability for Fibre at your cabinet is scheduled for 31/03/2014. Unfortunately we're unable to "hurry this along" in any way. My advice is to continue to check this on the dslchecker website that you're using and hopefully we can upgrade you to Fibre in April! Smiley
Devonian
Grafter

Thank you Linn, that's very kind to check.
A quick question.. when I can upgrade to fibre, I assume I will start a new contract period, would that be 18 months?
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You'd be best off speaking to our Customer Services team when Fibre becomes available regarding this, however, I can confirm that as standard the minimum contract length for Fibre is 18 months.
Devonian
Grafter

OK, thank you.  Smiley
BRABUS
Grafter

Don't always believe the checker!!  My in laws wanted fibre and a month after they had it installed into their house the checker was still saying that it was coming.  We only found out the real availability by talking to helpful PN staff.
PS Linn, are you able to confirm the availability for me please as I am also getting a date of 31st March, my fingers are hurting from keeping them crossed for so long.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi BRABUS,
I've had a look at your account and our systems state that FTTC is planned to be available on your line on 31/03/2014 as well. These dates can be subject to change as it all depends on if BT OpenReach have completed all the necessary work to enable to the cabinet. Personally the date for FTTC to be available in my cabinet changed 2 or 3 times before it actually became available.
Devonian
Grafter

Linn when you check the availability at PlusNet's end, is it from the same system as the dsl checker website?
I'm just wondering if both update at the same time?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

The data is pretty much the same.
I believe the data is pulled from the same database.
Devonian
Grafter

Cheers Chris.  Smiley
Devonian
Grafter

The dslchecker website still shows my cabinet being upgraded by the end of March.
But the SamKnows broadband checker is reporting:

BT FTTC broadband availability
You are connected to the Paignton telephone exchange.
FTTC is available in your area
Downstream Min: 56 Mbps
Downstream Max: 74.5 Mbps
Upstream Min: 17.4 Mbps
Upstream Max: 20 Mbps

Could somebody have a little look and see whats what for me please?
A couple of months ago Samknows was showing FTTC as unavailable.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

The exchange maybe upgraded which is what Sam knows is reporting but you still might not have a Fibre cab installed to be able to order fibre yet,  when my exchange was upgraded it was still  just over a month before my fibre cab was installed and i could order fibre it all depends on how much work needs to be done to install the cab. 
Devonian
Grafter

Up until a few days ago it was reporting the same as DSLchecker, and it checked the details based on my phone number, so I assumed it checked the cab to.
AndyH
Grafter

Do you know where your cabinet is? If you do, why don't you have a look to see if any contractors are still working on it?
Devonian
Grafter

It's right outside my house actually!
They put in the new cab, then the electrics were fitted, then the equipment added.
I've no idea what the hold up could be now.