cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabinet upgrade to Fibre.

Devonian
Grafter

Cabinet upgrade to Fibre.

Just before christmas, BTOR dug up the road, installed a new roadside cabinet for fibre, then the contractor placed the cabling a few days later.
I know exactly what happened, because the foreman knocked on my door asking if he could use my driveway for a few hours.
He explained they were carrying out the work for O.R to upgrade the area to fibre, and he said in a couple of months I will be able to connect, and due to my location, I should get near top speed.
He gave me an email address so I could find out the activation of the cabinet.
I emailed O.R, and here is the reply (remember I SAW the cabinet upgrade take place and was told it was completed by O.R that was actually doing the work)

Dear Mr E*****

Thank you for your email

Information about the commercial fibre project can be found on the rollout site below and this is where you can register your interest which helps us assess local demand patterns :-
          http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Paignton cabinet 21 to which your line is connected is currently being re-assessed by our planning team. Until the outcome of that re-assessment is known there is no further information as to whether or not this will go ahead.  It probably will be the end of the March  before any additional information is likely to be available.

Regards

The mind boggles!!!!
4 REPLIES 4
Trevor
Grafter

Re: Cabinet upgrade to Fibre.

Our cabinet was up in over 6 months ago but that postcode checker still shows my exchange (New Milton) as 'coming soon'. However, Plusnet are showing FTTC as available to order, so I don't know what to believe!  It does seem odd though to install a cabinet and only afterwards assess whether it's worth connecting it.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

The lead time for FTTC is several months. My cabinet, Fordingbridge exchange (hi Trevor, neighbour!) was in for 4 months before activation. Different contractors are responsible for the various infrastructure projects. If PN say it's available then it will be.
Devonian
Grafter

Yea that's right, the cabinets appeared, then a few days later a few trucks from a company in Luton appeared and they laid the cables, then a weeks later a few OR trucks appeared, and the cabinets were actually wired up.
So why do all of that, and then decide to reassess?  That's what pushes our bills up, the madness of a big company!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Don't forget there has to be kit in the exchange too. If initially they've only got enough there to support (say) 500 lines then it is necessary to assess which cabinets should be connected up. This is likely to be those where take up is projected to be greatest. As more exchange kit is installed additional cabinets are progressively connected.
David