cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRC errors and incoming calls

jjaycee1
Grafter

CRC errors and incoming calls

I have noticed for a long time now that my outbound CRC errors will spike when an incoming call comes in. I have "googled" this and an example of a fault at the connection to the pole was diagnosed. It had nothing to do with filters or router problems. My phones are hands free.
I have had problems which I am convinced have been related to the connection at the pole to my house including substantial faults during heavy rain. An engineer recently found my connection had been taped not fixed with the appropriate binding. I am therefore still suspicious that the CRC errors on incoming calls is also at the pole/house connection. Any tests that are done when an engineer visits show negative for errors but the tests are conducted with the phone disconnected. I am unsure who to contact about it and whether anything would get done. With this problem there is a good chance that it could cause unnecessary resyncs/ speed loss etc.
Does anyone else get this?
I attach a snapshot of todays  CRC erros and you can clearly see when and what time I had incoming calls. Surely this is not right.
2 REPLIES 2
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: CRC errors and incoming calls

Just out of interest, is there any noise at all on the phone line? Even a gentle background hiss or similar?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jjaycee1
Grafter

Re: CRC errors and incoming calls

Chris, to me there is always a gentle noise but I do not expect or experience absolute silence. I remember the engineer telling me what I could hear was normal, when in fact I thought it was slightly more than "gentle". I do not know now what I should hear ! I do know from research though that the incoming call CRC creation should not be happening. I have read that it could be because of sudden increased voltage, but I have no idea. I give a link below to an interesting BT forum query that is part of my google search. HR fault is spoken about.
What is difficult is that when an engineer visits he immediately disconnects the phone to install his test equipment. What is needed is that he stands by my PC looks at DSLstats/Routerstats and phones my house phone and watches the resulting CRC error spike.
https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Long-running-broadband-fault-voice-calls-int...