Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRC errors and incoming calls

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

CRC errors and incoming calls

I'm getting a sharp uptick in CRC errors on upstream ADSL 2+ when landline is ringing. Downstream not affected as much. Any significance?

6 REPLIES 6
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: CRC errors and incoming calls

Hi @pvmb, do you get the same if you connect to the test socket with an alternative micro-filter?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Exactly the same with: phone unplugged, different line filter, router in test socket

All the testing means that when I reconnect, despite the SNR holding up, the download speed keeps dropping lower and lower. As usual...

I have never recovered my treasured 3 dB noise margin & 18 Mbps download since the last bit of trouble, despite a line reset.  

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Looking over the test history, it looks like your sync is inline with your estimates

I appreciate it has been higher than this in the past but at the minute there's not much more we can do as the line is stable and performing as expected. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

OK. Thanks LaurenB, I realise line is within specs and I cannot find a line fault on test from this end. Will continue to monitor.

The vagaries of ADSL... Sad

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Oh dear! Why is ADSL so FLAKY?

Then again: Q. Why was gravity invented? A. To give ADSL something to aim for...

I shudda known better by now. Everything ADSL should have a bright yellow label on it: DON'T TOUCH!
I had a bit of a prob. I should have left it alone rather than try and find out if anything was wrong. To find out if anything was wrong I had to touch it. Now it's falling apart. Speeds are heading in the inevitable direction, same as a brick released at 10,000 ft. Noise ratios are heading for the stars. Same as ever it was.

Up 259 kbps, NR 13.8 dB - was ~1200 kbps
Dn 9199 kbps, NR 16 dB - was ~16 kbps

After several breaks and restarts. Now I have to 'handcrank' it back to something half way sensible again...

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

If you have swapped the filters over and you're plugged into the test socket, I would recommend raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net and letting us know when you have done it.

As the SNR keeps raising, that signifies that something is funny with the line at the moment. Hopefully we can find this for you once the fault has been raised to Openreach.