cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRC Error

redbull2k14
Grafter

CRC Error

Im getting a high amount of crc errors at the moment its like 102 in the time frame of 1 hour and 4minutes. what can i do?
6 REPLIES 6
khile
Grafter

Re: CRC Error

Line errors are generally caused by induced line noise. Whilst the BT line itself can be susceptible to induced noise, 90% of the time the noise is being generated in the home phone wiring.
Extensions are almost always a problem for a good quality ADSL signal - in general, the longer the wire run between the master socket and the socket the router is plugged into, the worse the problem. Other things in the house can also contribute.
Fitting an ADSL faceplate to an extension socket is pretty much a waste of time as you're applying the filtering after the problem. An ADSL faceplate works best fitted to the master as this is then filtering out the extension wiring (where the problem normally arises). If you must have the router on an extension then you need to fit a faceplate to the master then run a dedicated extension, unfiltered, to the router.
To see what benefit you'd get, I'd advise running a temporary power extension to near your master and plugging your router into the test socket (hidden inside your master presuming you have an NTE5). You should then see an immediate change to your stats if your home wiring is the problem. What you're looking for is a jump in your noise margin.
redbull2k14
Grafter

thanks for the info. When openreach came on friday, I had him to move the faceplate back,  it is almost right next to where the junction box is. i will make some changes to my set up and monitor.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: redbull2k14
Im getting a high amount of crc errors at the moment its like 102 in the time frame of 1 hour and 4minutes. what can i do?
Is that all
What is the router reporting as your present noise margin
What is the weather like around you - thunderstorms play havoc with my CRC errors even when they are nowhere near
As a comparison
Up time 123 hours CRC Errors 74,484 average over 600 per hour and most of those occur after dark
khile
Grafter

but as above really nothing to be worried about and there are many external factors that can cause theses issues such as weather and even street lighting
redbull2k14
Grafter

6db. im going to change it to like 10 or 12 and see if that improves.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

NO!
Messing with the SNRM is not likely to help, indeed it could cause other issues.  It will certainly slug your synch speed.  The DLM is reasonably good at managing a line for stability, leave it to do its job.  A few CRC errors are neither here nor there, especially if the speed is reasonable (please post the full stats) and the connection is stable.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.