cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffering with BBC iPlayer and general Broadband Speeds.

kmckeown78
Dabbler

Buffering with BBC iPlayer and general Broadband Speeds.

Hi,
Great forum!
I became a Plusnet customer on 19 Oct 2012; my previous ISP was O2 for over 3 years.
There was no issues with broadband at all during this time; I moved purely because Plusnet were a better price for the speed of brandband i currently had.
With O2 i was on unlimited works package with max 8Mbps and with Plusnet i am on the Extra package, however unsure what Mbps i am limited to (possibly 11mbps?)
I currently use my own router rather than the ISP supplied ones - I have a Draytek Vigor 2830n.
I do not have a Plusnet supplied router; however i do still have my old O2 supplied router.
Initially upon connection with Plusnet I was happy to see my download speed increase to 9.58Mbps from a varying speed with O2 in the region of 5 or 6Mbps.
However my upload speed went down from 0.8/0.9 to 0.3Mbps.
During the 10 day training period I noticed an download speed of 11.68Mbps however still with a capped upload speed of 0.31Mbps.
However after the 10 day training period my download speed was back to same levels as O2 with recorded speeds of 6.34Mbps and still a capped upload speed of 0.29Mbps.
Initially as we began to make use of the broadband, we didn't notice any issues - the speed seems acceptable for the price we pay.
However, when we came to use BBC iPlayer via the Sony Bravia system on the TV, we noticed buffering; more so on HD content.
This never happened with our previous ISP.
I had a read various posts on this forum, however could not identify what the issue could be; so have tried to collate and provide various bits of information.
The TV is connected via ethernet cable directly to the router and the router is connected directly into the master telephone socket.
I also have a desktop computer which is also conencted via ethernet cable to the router.
We don't watch iPlayer on the computer so have never noticed the same issue on the computer - however a quick check now shows no buffering issues on both the TV or the Computer.
I have taken further speed readings as well as making notes of my router information for your information - i have removed my IP address from the images.
Further speed readings have varied at different times of the day; from as low as 6Mbps to today being as high as 10.34Mbps - with the upload speed still capped at 0.3Mbps.
Today i also did an iPlayer speed test which is attached.
I have also attached my router stats, and various speed tests.
1) Can Plusnet advise on what can be done to stop the buffering on BBC iPlayer as this is highly frustrating.
2) Is there anything significant in my router stats that indicate an issue?
3) Are my speeds acceptable for the package i am on?
4) Is there anything Plusnet can do?
5) Is there anything i can do?
6) Can my upload speed be un-capped if possible?
I am aware that i have the option to upgrade to the Extra Pro package or even go down the Fibre route; however this buffering never occurred on my previous ISP connection and i do not consider it should be allowed to happen now, given that i have not downgraded my usage / connection speed in my sign up process with Plusnet.
Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.
Kevin.
37 REPLIES 37
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Buffering with BBC iPlayer and general Broadband Speeds.

Your router stats imply that your upload speed has been capped but other than that all I can see is perfection.  You maximum download speed test result should be in the range 10,000kbps to 11,000kbps, judged by your router sync rate.  So the issue is all about why you don't actually achieve this.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

1) Can Plusnet advise on what can be done to stop the buffering on BBC iPlayer as this is highly frustrating.

So, you are connected via Ethernet to the router and it buffers on teh TV,  but not on the laptop?  Is it all times of day?  Or just at peak evening ours?

Yep.  I'll get someone to look at that tomorrow.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
kmckeown78
Dabbler

Quote from: ReedRichards
You maximum download speed test result should be in the range 10,000kbps to 11,000kbps, judged by your router sync rate.  So the issue is all about why you don't actually achieve this.

Thank you ReedRichards - Do you have any recommendations on how I can identify this issue and resolve it? or is this something Plusnet will investigate for me?
If my router has sync-ed at a certain rate - does this imply the issue is on my side of my broadband network (i.e. the router or wiring) or Plusnet/BTOR side?
Thank you,
Kevin.
kmckeown78
Dabbler

Quote from: Kelly

So, you are connected via Ethernet to the router and it buffers on teh TV,  but not on the laptop?   Is it all times of day?  Or just at peak evening ours?

Hi Kelly,
Yes the TV and the desktop computer are both connected by Ethernet directly to the router (both in separate rooms).
Until this afternoon, i hadn't checked that iPlayer works on the computer, as we do not view iPlayer on the computer - however when i did play iPlayer on the computer this afternoon, no buffering was evident, but no buffering was evident on the TV either.
Yes most viewing of iPlayer on the TV is during peak periods (evenings and weekends).
I would like to highlight, that this issue did not exist prior to my connection with Plusnet.
Plusnet's assistance in resolving this issue would be appreciated...thank you.

Yep.   I'll get someone to look at that tomorrow.

That's great; Thank you.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

It could be the connection between your device and your router although it is very unusual for an Ethernet cable not to provide a good solid connection.  Might be worth trying a different cable if you have one.
It could be some sort of congestion at your telephone exchange, in which case the problem is likely to be at its worst during the peak hours of internet use (as Kelly alludes to).
It could be a misaligned profile.  Look in this link http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html , run the BT Speed Test and check your Current Line Speed.
It could be a device that is consuming a lot of your bandwidth unbeknownst to you, but that seems a long shot.
And I'm sure there are some other subtle problems that crop up once in a blue moon. But provided you are prepared to be patient and run a few tests when asked then I'm sure between Plusnet and the Plusnet clients on the forum we will find a way to get you the speed that you router says you should have and banish the buffering.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Can you run an iplayer stream from your TV and your laptop at the same time at peak and let me know how it performs?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've placed an order to uncap your upload, it'll complete tomorrow.
Keep us updated on how you're getting on.
kmckeown78
Dabbler

Quote from: chrispurvey
I've placed an order to uncap your upload, it'll complete tomorrow.
Keep us updated on how you're getting on.

Hi Chris,
The speed tests I have done since Thursday onwards have all shown an increased upload speed in the region of 0.8Mbps to 1.5Mbps.
Thank you Plusnet.

Can you run an iplayer stream from your TV and your laptop at the same time at peak and let me know how it performs?

Hi Kelly,
At evening peak time; I played the same program on iPlayer on the TV as well as the computer and received an 'Insufficient Bandwidth' message on the PC following a few seconds playback, and constant buffering on the TV.
Following that; I tried the PC on its own; and got buffering - and tried the TV on its own and got buffering.
I have done various speed tests at random times of the day/eve and I am seeing variations in the speed.
At midday today I recorded a 11.31Mbps download; however at 17:45pm today I have recorded it at 2.93Mbps.
(Video streaming from both iPlayer and Youtube is currently being buffered; and general web surfing/email seems to be sluggish and slow).
I have attached PDF screen shots of the Speed Tests and Router Information for your information.
Thank you.
Kevin.
kmckeown78
Dabbler

It could be the connection between your device and your router although it is very unusual for an Ethernet cable not to provide a good solid connection.  Might be worth trying a different cable if you have one.
It could be some sort of congestion at your telephone exchange, in which case the problem is likely to be at its worst during the peak hours of internet use (as Kelly alludes to).
It could be a misaligned profile.  Look in this link http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html , run the BT Speed Test and check your Current Line Speed.
It could be a device that is consuming a lot of your bandwidth unbeknownst to you, but that seems a long shot.
And I'm sure there are some other subtle problems that crop up once in a blue moon. But provided you are prepared to be patient and run a few tests when asked then I'm sure between Plusnet and the Plusnet clients on the forum we will find a way to get you the speed that you router says you should have and banish the buffering.

Hi ReedRichards,
I have undertaken the BT speed test as you suggested and have attached the results.
I don't have any additional Ethernet cable to try at the moment; but would be willing to give it a go if required.
Thank you for your assistance; I am sure it will get sorted soon.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried this test of BBC iPlayer download ?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
I do know my download speed can be extremely slow in the evenings, especially just in the hours before midnight, and when midnight comes, they shoot up to normal speed.
Jo told me why, a while back.
My results, just tested .......
kmckeown78
Dabbler

Quote from: PlusComUK
Have you tried this test of BBC iPlayer download ?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
I do know my download speed can be extremely slow in the evenings, especially just in the hours before midnight, and when midnight comes, they shoot up to normal speed.
Jo told me why, a while back.
My results, just tested .......

Hi PlusComUK,
I have tried the iPlayer Speed Tester before; and get results in line with the BTW Speed Tests.
I have just done another iPlayer speed test and attached the results... all 4 readings vary considerably on this one; with the result being 593kbps - very poor!
There is nothing else currently using the internet except for this PC and my iPhone has WiFi disabled.
WiFi is secure too.
I hope Plusnet can assist further on Monday...
Thanks,
Kevin.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oooh Errrr !!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: kmckeown78
I have undertaken the BT speed test as you suggested and have attached the results.

Which are widely different.  In the version of the test you have chosen, you need to click the 'Further Diagnostics' button and record those results also.
kmckeown78
Dabbler

Quote from: kmckeown78

Which are widely different.  In the version of the test you have chosen, you need to click the 'Further Diagnostics' button and record those results also.

Hi ReedRichards,
They are indeed widely different!
I had completed the 'Further Diagnostics' - I have included them in my reply to Kelly above; however I failed to attach them to my reply to you - they are now attached.
I have also provided earlier 'Further Diagnostic' tests as well as speed tests in my original post.
Thank you.
Kevin.