cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bt speedtester not working for me. :(

anytbut
Grafter

Re: Bt speedtester not working for me. :(

Brief note of the apparent problem lifted from my ticket...
KBD is not identifying an active PPP session although the customer is in sync.
EPP faults cannot be raised as BT speed tester as they get the message "It looks like you entered an invalid phone number"
KBD gives the message "No record of this circuit in the database. Hence cannot proceed to obtain the NTE details
As i`ve already asked about the lift `n` shift process can someone shed light on "E and D side checks and check the port issue at the exchange". Smiley
x47c
Grafter

A lift and shift is where your broadband connection is physically moved to a different line card/DSLAM port at the exchange
The E side is that section of your line which runs from the exchange to the local street cabinet primary connection point (PCP)
The D side is that section of your line which runs from the local street cabinet to the distribition point - which is at the top of the pole in most people's cases.
The Drop wire is that section of your line which runs from the distribution point to your NTE5 master socket in your house
anytbut
Grafter

Ah,got you!
Well,good few years back our line was put underground from being overhead Smiley
But one issue i`ve mentioned before in previous problems is that my line goes through 2 cabs before hitting the exchange,even stranger the line goes from my home to Cab 2,then back to the nearest Cab to me (approx <100m),then to the exchange.
With the E/D side check happening,is it possible that they could change my line to run through the nearest cab,then to the exchange (capacity allowing)?

......Just done another reset this morning to get my sync back up ( 4672 now).
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi anything but,
I've been looking further into this with one of our senior faults guys. We think the best thing to do first is raise a records query as this is more than likely the issue rather than anything physical. It may take a few days to get this sorted, but once that avenue has been explored we can see if we need to take it any further.
Jojo Smiley
anytbut
Grafter

Ok Jo.
Will it take into account the weekend or from Monday?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi anything but,
Someone should get back to me today, but not sure when it'll get done.
Jojo Smiley
x47c
Grafter

A possible historial reason for the doubling back might be...
Cab2 runs out of e side spares as housing expands or e side is damaged beyond repair & ducts are blocked whatever.
So solution was to take some lines from cab2 back to the other cab in a new cable bundle as that cab had lots of e side spares.
and then use the spare e-sides in the that cab to take the bundle back to the exchange.
nice cheap quick fix.....though it eliminates all the spares in the Eside at the second cab..which is someone else's problem sometime in the future.
Seen this before on old very small rural exchanges.
All the equipment is removed and all the lines are 'jumpered direct through' to a 200 or so line cable linking to another nearby bigger exchange.
So the old exchange becomes nothing more than a huge joint box.
Snag is this may mean some lines which were quite close to the exchange now due to doubling back are now a long way from the new exchange location.
Most of this closing of old rural mini exchanges was done a long time before the internet came along so the issue of distance from exchange was not really a relevant consideration, it just had to be enough for the voice phone to work and the phone to ring properely when called.
Edit
Here is an old rural min-exchange or sale - converted into a 1 bedroom house
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34838597.html
Roberto0151
Grafter

BT speed test not working.

This has been discussed at length before but I suspect I should start a new topic ( ? )
For some weeks now I have been getting this when trying the BT test

"The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."

I had a word with the phone broadband folk but it seemed  BT didn't  recognize my line ( or something), so as I've been getting download speeds that are really too high for my connection we felt probably better leave well alone  Smiley
My router stats are these:
Link Information

Uptime: 8 days, 23:15:43
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 2,894
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 660.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 43.0 / 66.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.5 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 7 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 109 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 11,811,035
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 13,156
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 11,317

Would be grateful for any thoughts on this
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT speed test not working.

No you shouldn't - merged with existing topic when I find it
anytbut
Grafter

My exchange is quite small (Shorne - NDSHO),but as i mentioned in a different thread of mine,neighbors just a few doors down get a sync of 7616 compared to my 4600`ish.
I know it`s because of my line going Cab2 - Cab1 - exchange,where they most likely go Cab1 - exchange (the do live pretty much opposite the cab).
Guess it`s just lets see what pans out for the mo. Smiley
Any news jo?
Roberto0151
Grafter

"No you shouldn't -"
Sorry  O.J., I wasn't sure whether this was really the same problem or maybe just looked like it. Mea  culpa  Cry
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Grin Grin
Actually - ignoring the BT Speedtest bit for the moment - you shouldn't have been provisioned on ADSL2+ with that attenuation
I have seen that before (a customer I was helping out) where she was on ADSL2+ with a default noise margin of 3dB (God knows why) and with her router she just got no internet connection at all due to the appallingly high number of errors.
I changed to a cheap Plusnet supplied router and it appeared to sort itself (no it wasn't a Thompson)
I believe that the problem occurred because the move to MaxDSL was done manually (from a fixed speed connection) and the order was placed as ADSL2+ and not ADSL1 as it should have been.
However it looks as though your line/router is coping and you are getting a much higher speed as a result - a good outcome
anytbut
Grafter

Any update yet Jo? Just wondering as if I do need that lift/shift and checks I'm off Friday (birthday:D) so it'd save having to take a different day off work. Smiley
Been trying the speedtester over the weekend and this morning, still the same results.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi anything but,
Not sure about the lift and shift. I'll chase the records case in the morning for you though.
Jojo Smiley
anytbut
Grafter

Ok.
I was only wondering as i know you said you was going to chase records to see if that sorted things before going the lift `n` shift route. Smiley