cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bt speedtester not working for me. :(

anytbut
Grafter

Bt speedtester not working for me. :(

Originally had this problem with my last line fault (PN`s system not reconising that i had a active/working connection/unable to run line tests) and was told after everything was sorted that it should clear up.
Well,been a few months now and BT speedtester just will not work! Before the updates to it,speedtester used to give me "Authorisation failed Incorrect Telephone Number" as the error,now it`s "The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection..."
O/s is up to date,java too....firefox/chrome/IE all give the same error.
I know it`s not a life or death fault,but if i do run into a line fault and get asked "run a BTspeedtest" i`m gonna be stumped!
44 REPLIES 44
ToonBall
Dabbler

Re: Bt speedtester not working for me. :(

You could use http://www.speedtest.net just as good as the one BT speed test.
Is your line managed by another provider other than BT?  For example talk talk?
anytbut
Grafter

I could use another speed test site,but for checking my IP profile (as you need to for any apparent line problems) then i`ll be stumped without BT`s one.
Phone line is BT managed bty.
niko
Grafter

you could asl plusnet for your line id number(i think thats what its called or maybe service id) and try that instead of your phone number
anytbut
Grafter

This thread contains what i was refering to... http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101079.0.html
As you can see,this was most likely the cause but the BT speedtester issue is still there for me even tho my connection has been pretty much stable since. Smiley
IKnowNothing
Grafter

Quote from: anything
I could use another speed test site,but for checking my IP profile (as you need to for any apparent line problems) then i`ll be stumped without BT`s one.

Someone (Oldjim I think) put this link on here a while ago that lets you check your BT profile from somewhere other than the BT tester and usefully doesn't need java installed. Worked for me.
http://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=BrasChecker
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi anything but,
I guess you get the same error each time you attempt to use the BT speed tester, have you tried running it in the morning or overnight when the network is less busy? Apologies if so, but we need to check as the speedtester site advises that you may get the error you mention when the network is busy.
That's if the above link doesn't work of course (though we'll still be happy to raise the fact that you are unable to access it once we have a little more information).
anytbut
Grafter

At work atm so can't check that link.
But as far as I remember, I get that error at any time of the day.
anytbut
Grafter

Just tried that link above,guess what ....."It looks like you entered an invalid phone number or BTs system is refusing to run a test, try again in a few hours."
So,over to you PN. Smiley
Cathotel
Grafter

Hi anything but,
I raised this issue with PN some weeks ago after BT updated their software and loads of people sufferred the same 'Test error' glitch and after a long struggle JoJo from PN support raised this with BT but as yet I've heard no feedback.
I even took one of my laptops (I have 3 desktops and 4 laptops all up to date with everything as I suffer from OCD !! ) to a friend who was on a different exchange but with BT Infinity and it worked fine, therefore it was down to either my line/connection/records to do with my phone number.
Strangely enough along with two others that had the same issue when we applied to go on the 80/20 fibre trial the BT speedtester burst into life.
HOWEVER, it's s piece of useless junk at the moment along with mybroadbandspeed.co.uk which regularly report I have a downspeed of 4 Mbps when all the others (speedtest.net/thinkbroadband) report 34 - 36 Mbps on my fibre.
The BT Profile bit does seem to work but only as regards the downspeed - the upspeed just reports the max cap your line is set at.
Do not let them convince you it's your hardware/software setup as long as you accepted the applet it's not your equipment fault.
Pete
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI anything but,
I've looked into this and identified a fault on our supplier's systems. They have taken some action to resolve this. However, if that work doesn't resolve the issue, and you start to suffer from performance related issues a lift and shift may be required to fix it. They've advised that you power cycle the router for this to take effect.
Jojo Smiley
anytbut
Grafter

Thanks Jo, I'll get someone to do that at home today at some point. Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Let me know when it's done and I can retest Smiley
anytbut
Grafter

Line got reset in the evening (no-one about during the day,so suffered a drop in profile down to 3.5meg),just got in and tried BTspeedtester ...
Main link gives me .."The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."
The other provided link ..."It looks like you entered an invalid phone number or BTs system is refusing to run a test, try again in a few hours."
And preformance is definatly worse,tried gateway hopping too,which was to no avail,so i guess it`s looking like a lift `n` shift may well be needed.
What exactly is involved in the process? Does is involve work the whole way down the line? I.E ....Cab1/Cab2/Exchange,or just at the exchange itself?

mikeyriot
Grafter

Strangely enough along with two others that had the same issue when we applied to go on the 80/20 fibre trial the BT speedtester burst into life.

I was one of those but I cant for the life of me suggest how or why going onto the trial fixed this for the few of us in the same situation, but it definately did. As soon as I got the message confirming it would go live by morning, the speed tester was working :-\.
Maybe looking into the process could find an easy fix? (For those of us that reported the error right after the changes to the tester)