cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brother MFC 5890 CN

simonskinner

Brother MFC 5890 CN

I have a Brother MFC 5890 CN printer that worked fine with my old ISP and their router. The printer is wired via the new PlusNet Technicolor TG582n router to the computer. The computer prints okay but scanning initiated from the printer does not work. I think it is because the router has to be set up for port forwarding (I am no expert but I came to this conclusion on reading round the subject). If it is then I think I have to set up a new game or device and I I have no idea what the settings in the router should be. Can anyone help please?
3 REPLIES 3
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Brother MFC 5890 CN

Hi and welcome to the PN forum Smiley
Your printer will have changed IP address when you changed routers so try looking at the scanner driver/software settings for a config item to update to the new address.  Port forwarding is relevant if you need to access something on your local network from the Internet, it plays no part in the communication between devices on your network.
HTH
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

I have same printer and attachment may help.
On my new DELL I can only connect wirelessly to my Brother; scans & prints fine.
I do not have any port forwarding. Kiss
simonskinner

Firstly, PWaston, thanks for the welcome to the PN forum. I must admit it is the first time I have used a forum.
I still have not solved the problem. Could you tell me which IP address you think may have been changed and on which piece of equipment? I have managed to get into the printer software and changed it to the IP addresses of the printer and I have been through the router software and I don't think there is anywhere to change IP address. Thanks for letting me know port forwarding is not required. I was obviously barking up the wrong tree!
Secondly, Gel, thanks for the link to the brother software page, it made it easy to get into the brother software and alter the IP address. It must be one fit kitten jumping those helicopter blades!