cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken router

ggiannandrea
Grafter

Broken router

I can't connect at all when using my Thomson TG585 router which was suppied by yourselves last year. I have tempoarily plugged in a Netgear DG834 and I am having no connection issues at all
The reply from Plusnet
We are happy to supply a new wireless router for free (plus a £5.99 postage and packaging charge) provided that you would be willing to stay with Plusnet for the next 12 months.

Alternatively, we can provide the router for a cost of £40.00 plus the £5.99 postage and packaging fee, paid up front.
I have been with Plusnet since August 2003 and I must say this has left a bitter taste in my mouth, you think that they would give loyal customers more better support
Giovanni Giannandrea Embarrassed
10 REPLIES 10
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Broken router

Thomson TG585 router which was suppied by yourselves last year.

We've not supplied the 585 for a few years, I can't remember the exact date but it was definitely prior to the start of 2012. Looking at your account we sent the previous router to you in 2010, so unfortunately it's well out of warranty.
Routers cost us money, we have to recoup that somehow and from what I can see we've suggested a 12 month contract rather than having to pay upfront for it. Alternatively, you could use your own router if that suits you better?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ggiannandrea
Grafter

We are happy to supply a new wireless router for free (plus a £5.99 postage and packaging charge) provided that you would be willing to stay with Plusnet for the next 12 months.
Alternatively, we can provide the router for a cost of £40.00 plus the £5.99 postage and packaging fee, paid up front
Asking me to sign a 12 month contract is really petty,considering that I have been with Plusnet for 10 years
Yep looks like I'll be using my own router Angry
PS By the way I would be quite happy to pay £5.99 for a new router but I dont see why I should have to sign a 12 month contract as I've been with Plusnet since August  2003
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Signing up for a new contract guarantees plus net that the router will be paid off.  This is how they keep their business alive.  Lots of good routers for below £30 are you on ADSL OR FTTC?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: ggiannandrea
I would be quite happy to pay £5.99 for a new router

You're not paying £5.99 for a new router - As the reply you received clearly states you are paying £5.99 for a £40.00 router to be sent to you free of charge.  In order to benefit from not having to pay for the router you need to sign up for a further 12 months.
Seems clear and reasonable to me...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I didn't think it was actually a true 12 month contract, isn't it just a 'defered hardware' contract ? Meaning that should you leave within 12 months, you agree to pay £40 for the router. After 12 months the router is free.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pwatson
Rising Star

Post deleted
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: MisterW
I didn't think it was actually a true 12 month contract, isn't it just a 'defered hardware' contract ? Meaning that should you leave within 12 months, you agree to pay £40 for the router. After 12 months the router is free.

This used to be the case but has now changed, you'd be signed into a contract meaning if you were to leave during that term you'd incur contract charges depending on how long you had left on your contract.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Thanks for the clarification Chris

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I have got 10 adsl and cable and wan routers all for free of freecycle.  Got them as a joblot and they all work.  One which is locked down to sky and another to talk talk are useful if I ever have a friend who needs a replacement. 
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
ggiannandrea
Grafter

just like to say thanks for all the replies but I've managed to get my Thomson router working again
Gio Smiley