cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadbnd speeds & dropping connection

Good14

Broadbnd speeds & dropping connection

Hi,
We switched from BT fibre to PlusNet fibre 20/8. As PlusNet are owned by BT I didn't think we would see any change in the service in terms of connectivity & speed.
We should be achieving up to 32Mb. 27/8 test showed 4.18mbs download & today 11/9 1.36mbs - not impressed.
Also my connection keeps dropping, this can be anytime day or evening.
I assured my family that they would see no difference in the Broadband service switching to Plusnet - I'm currently not very popular , can anybody help me please as I'm not technical.
Thank you
Embarrassed
3 REPLIES 3
DanHodby
Grafter

Re: Broadbnd speeds & dropping connection

Hi Good14,
Thank you for getting in touch.
The speeds you are getting seems well below what they should be, they also sound like they are wireless speed results. We would usually ask you to run a few speed tests on a wired connection as the estimates we give are on a wired connection.
Effectively, the service should be the same as one supplied by BT, the only difference being the router. The line itself is stable so I'm thinking the issues you are having are with the wireless connection.
Its quite possible that there's interference on with wireless connection so you may find this link helpful - Wireless Troubleshooting
I'm guessing you still have the BT router? Depending on which version of this you have you may be able to plug this back in and enter your username and password for Plusnet. If you have a version number of the router I'm sure someone on here will be able to advise if its locked to BT or whether we can use it.
Good14

Thanks Dan
All I can see is BT Home Hub 3.0
I was using my laptop wireless but connected with a wire via a power lead adapter.
I've just run the test again 1.54 download . I then connected with a wire directly to the router &an improvement 4.63mbs but no where near the 32mbs
Any help welcome
Thanks
Sam
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Sam,
For clarity, was the WiFi on the laptop switched off to ensure that the Ethernet connection was used for the later test?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.