cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband up, ADSL down

Mardler
Rising Star

Broadband up, ADSL down

At 17:30 last night and 01:53 ADSL connection was lost.

Just now I noticed that the router was displaying Connect so I did and it did though I am sure that left to itself the router would have connected OK. The log shows multiple attempts both times to connect to ADSL.

This appears to be a common PN problem and it's getting worse though the connection was up for 17 days this time (and our disconnects are usually caused by switching on the TV).

Another reason to go FTTP but ITM, PN, what went wrong?

10 REPLIES 10
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Broadband up, ADSL down

Thanks for your post @Mardler

I wouldn't worry too much about the drop in the early hours as that is when our suppliers usually carry out maintenance.

With regards to the other drops, our line tests (which will have also just caused a drop) aren't showing any cause for this.

If the drops continue I'd recommend going through our troubleshooting guides here in the first instance and if the drops continue after this please raise a fault by going here and then post back here once you've done so.

That'll allow us to get that picked up straight away for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Mardler
Rising Star

OK.

Recent ADSL outages:-

Feb 04:-

01:54

22:04

Feb 05

23:40

Connection to the exchange up all the time.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Mardler and thanks for getting back to us.

Can I ask if you've ran through any of the troubleshoot steps advised by my colleague above yet to see if it helps with the intermittent drops?

As seen above the drops look to be far and few in between and at the moment I wouldn't say the connection has been dropping enough for it to be deemed fault worthy by our suppliers. As mentioned though, if you do notice these drops continue and possible worsen then we'd recommend ruling a few things out your side via the steps below before we'd look to progress this further.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here.
Given the frequency of the drops, I'd advise if you do set up within the test socket to do so for a 24-48 hour period so you can see if this helps prevent the drops.

Let us know how it goes.

Mardler
Rising Star

There is absolutely no need to do any of those checks! Everything in the house is fine.

I repeat: the modem is talking to the exchange. The problem is that ADSL is dropping. This is either an exchange or PN problem, it isn't internal wiring.

Mardler
Rising Star

This morning.

07:43:57 pppd: LCP terminated by peer, connection down

07:44:06 ADSL down

07:45:04 ADSL link up, connection up

*** SNRM 8.3 on adj 5! ***

Note the termination by peer: what does that mean, PN I guess?

Note also the SNRM. I use a Billion 7800XDL modem/router. SNRM is set to 5 to give a slightly better sync. For the last year sync has been c.20 to 22 with c.19 attainable and stable with SNRM c.2 to 4. Since these disconnects started SNRM has increased steadily and is now 8.3 which I have never seen before.

All points to an exchange situation however PN input is requested.

I will try to remember to resync at about 15:00 - the rate should be closer to 21 and SNRM back to 2+ but we shall see.

The bottom line is that these disconnects are becoming more frequent.

Thankfully, we now have the option of FTTP which seems like a no brainer.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

While we all hate to think there may be a problem with our internal wiring when disconnects happen, looking at this realistically DSL or PPP drops can be caused by the internal wiring of a property.

The issue could be anywhere between the exchange and your router which includes internal wiring if you don't use the test socket.

As per our previous response, if the disconnects don't stop in the test socket then if you haven't already I'd recommend you raise a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net as we may need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

It's worth noting that if a line test does not find a definitive external fault then the only way we can progress a fault with Openreach is by booking an engineer appointment.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mardler
Rising Star

After 17 days it's happened again this morning in the early hours. It's usually about the same time.

Fault appears to be a packet loss at the PN end (from the Billion support forum page in answer to an identical fault).

From the router log:-

01:30:08 pppd: LCP terminated by peer

01:30:16 connection up

01:39:52 pppd: LCP terminated by peer

01:40:00 connection up

Note that virtually every time this happens sync is unchanged. The connection to the exchange remains up.

It is very clearly a PN originated problem and not an isolated one judging by the other complaints.

(As I have noted before, the SNRM on these reconnects is high given that the exchange connection never drops. It's 8.1 right now whereas before these disconnects it averaged 3.)

Edit: the disconnect at 06:24 was me; adjusting target SNRM but oddly made little difference so will wait until this afternoon and try again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Have you raised a fault to us so we can raise this to our suppliers to investigate further?

(Not in the office to check your account now)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, Gandalf.

No, I haven't raised a ticket yet. I will think about it.

Looking at recent posts here shows that PN has a serious problem nationwide. Given that the percentage of customers who complain about poor service for anything is c.5 you will have thousands of similar problems. 

The SNRM is really puzzling. I have now set the router Target SNRM to 3. This normally gives sync reading of c.2.5-3.5 (6 minus 3): yesterday afternoon it was 6.1 and early evening 4.6. Right now it's 6.1. This is very different behaviour.

Also, the output power has risen a little.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @Mardler 

I'm sorry to see you feel that way. I agree there's a lot of faults about, which is likely caused by the recent bad weather we've had and the fault you're experiencing may or may not be linked to a common fault in your area. There's however no evidence to suggest that there's a common fault nationwide, because not every customer is on the same equipment.

Looking at your broadband connection you've only had 3 drops in the past 18 days which is well within tolerance:

For reference, an intermitent fault is considered to be 3 drops within 24 hours or 6 drops within 72 hours.

If you get frequent drops I'd recommend raising a fault so we can investigate further. Thanks.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet