cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband trouble

Nantaram22

Broadband trouble

Hi,

I have had an ongoing problem of intermittent connection - sometimes gets very bad such as most of this morning when it's off most of the time. When I spoke to plusnet last time they reset it and said it would be better after 10 days - but still the same. I can't use online chat as my connection disappears in the middle of the conversation and I don't want to wait 15 minutes on the phone. No email contact apparently. Mike

2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Broadband trouble

Hi Mike,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Intermittent connectivity can have a multitude of causes, from something in your home to a wet joint in your phone line.  There is a lot you can do your self to help identify what might be going wrong to reduce the risk of a getting a not fault found or a fault in user equipment charge from BTOR who own and maintain the wires between the exchange and your home.

The following will help community members assist you...

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Then go look at the ADSL Speed Issues topic and run the broadband fault checker - see links below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Broadband trouble

Hi there,

To add on to @Townman's response, here is a graph of the disconnections and line stats:

Disconnections have been very poor since Tuesday but only 1 today.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 13.3 29.0
SNR Margin: 5.5 9.1
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 20197558 603710333
Speed: 1225 12631

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 12480 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 9984
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 28741 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 3593
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 1150

Nothing too concerning on the line stats.

A test on the copper line itself is also passing.

Once you've been through the steps above, I'd advise getting this reported to us as a fault at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.