Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband terribly slow - troubleshooter not working

cyrix2000
Dabbler

Broadband terribly slow - troubleshooter not working

Hi,
I have a problem with my broadband speed: according to my router I'm getting an upload speed of 0.448 and a download speed of 8.128 (SNR 12, loop att. 22), but using the internet is terribly slow. According to the BT speed test I'm just getting 2.34 (down) and 0.3 (up) speed, which is much slower than my line speed.
I just moved home, so somehow I have the feeling that the speed profiles of my old and new line are mixed up. Plus.net is still showing my old line speed and diffferent telephone numbers, depending where I'm looking...
Unfortunately the plus.net troubleshooter isn't working (it always lead to an error page: Broadband Troubleshooter - Error, There's been a problem, Please try using the Broadband Troubleshooter again in a short while. If you continue to have problems please contact our Support Team for help).
Can anyone help me here? Unfortunately I cannot find an email address for the plus.net  support... and the help assistant is always leading me back to the faulty troubleshooter.
Thanks,
Jan
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Broadband terribly slow - troubleshooter not working

Quote from: cyrix2000
Unfortunately I cannot find an email address for the plus.net  support...

That's because there isn't one!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@cyrix2000 - It's probably your Current Line Speed that is the blockage - it should catch up if it's low compared to your BT IP Profile.
cyrix2000
Dabbler

The current line speed is 2.5Mb and estimated line speed is 3.5Mb but these values were last updated on the 30st of December on my old telephone line. Now the line is synced at 8Mb but somehow all the profiles haven't been updated (I'm now in my new place for a week, this should have happened by now I guess...)
picbits
Rising Star

Hopefully one of the digital care team will pick this up when they see it. They don't always man the forums at the weekend though so please don't feel ignored if you don't get an answer until Monday Smiley
spickering
Grafter

Hi cyrix2000
It looks like the profile on our side had not updated yet, I have manually updated this. Could you restart the router and hopefully the speed should be back to normal.
Please reply back to the ticket if you need any further assistance.
Stuart
cyrix2000
Dabbler

Hi Stuart,
Thanks, the problem is fixed now 🙂
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: spickering
Could you restart the router and hopefully the speed should be back to normal.

I despair! That was the wrong advice.
Restarting the router is seen as a loss of sync by the DLM. Picking up the changed current line speed requires restarting the PPP session which is done by doing a disconnect/connect via the router interface. That is done with no loss of sync.
Also has the issue with the change of phone number been sorted? Until it is there will be continuing issues.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi there
Those issues should be now sorted out and the correct phone number should now be showing
Any further issues please let us know
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team