cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speeds very slow

glittery

Broadband speeds very slow

I have been having problems with my broadband over the weekend. Saturday the connection was dropping in and out all day. Sunday the speed was dreadful I did a test and it was 89kbps download and upload at 264kbps. Today the speed is dire all I can get is 16kbps download and upload of 70kbps. I'm signed up for 8mb and our exchange caters for a 6.5mb speed which I'm please with. Of course I don't always get top speed and don't expect it, but it's always been an acceptable speed until now.
It there any known reason for these sudden slow speeds?
9 REPLIES 9
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Broadband speeds very slow

link:speed and http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/02/19/my-broadband-doesnt-work/ are probably two very good places to start.
From the brief info you've given, my first guess would be a low resync event which has dropped your IP profile down to 135.
Have you recently changed any internal wiring (plugging new phone in, new Sky box?) - even temporarily?
Have you tried running a BT Speedtest?
What connection statistics does your router currently show?  Particularly downstream Sync/SNR/Attenuation ?
B.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Or perhaps snow affecting exposed telephone lines?
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This isn't railtrack you know with the wrong sort of snow  Grin
glittery

Quote from: Barry
broadband speed faults how to diagnose and http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/02/19/my-broadband-doesnt-work/ are probably two very good places to start.
From the brief info you've given, my first guess would be a low resync event which has dropped your IP profile down to 135.
Have you recently changed any internal wiring (plugging new phone in, new Sky box?) - even temporarily?
Have you tried running a BT Speedtest?
What connection statistics does your router currently show?  Particularly downstream Sync/SNR/Attenuation ?
B.

Thanks for replying.
We haven't changed any internal wiring recently. I was having the same problem about three weeks ago and my husband phoned PlusNet. He was told to unplug the phone line from our surge protector and plug it straight into the phone line. Seems that the surge protector was making it slow. Its been working fine since until this weekend.
I have tried twice with the BT Speedtest and it seems to stop when the progress gets to 96%. Is it supposed to do that?
I did glance at the two places you suggested, but as I'm not technically minded I found it difficult to understand.
Sorry for the lack of information but I wasn't quite sure what I should put in my posting. 
My router is a Netgear Rangemax DG834PN. my Down stream connection speed is: 6272 kbps and Up stream connection speed is 448 kbps.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
What appears to have happened here is that you've had what's called a sync blip. Basically, you've router has dropped its connection and then reconnected at the exchange at a really slow speed (160Kbps) and BT have dropped your profiled speed.
It should pick up in the next couple of days automatically.
glittery

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi there,
What appears to have happened here is that you've had what's called a sync blip. Basically, you've router has dropped its connection and then reconnected at the exchange at a really slow speed (160Kbps) and BT have dropped your profiled speed.
It should pick up in the next couple of days automatically.

Tut tut BT, that's a bit naughty Wink
Speed is a little better than it was earlier on, 131 kbps now. 
Thanks for all your replies. Smiley
glittery

Hi again
Just been thinking, are BT allowed to drop my speed as and when they like? Its annoying as I am paying for up to 8mb to my ISP.
Also another question: Is there any way I can stop a sync blip from happening again?
Thanks Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Don't let anyone plug anything into a phone socket without a filter is about the only thing you can do unless it becomes a regular occurrence and you may then be able to tie it down to electrical interference from somewhere.
You could try monitoring the noise margin and see if you get sudden drops which tie in with something else happening
James
Grafter

Quote from: glittery
Just been thinking, are BT allowed to drop my speed as and when they like? Its annoying as I am paying for up to 8mb to my ISP.

Unfortunately it's how the product is designed.
link:speed covers things fairly well.