cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speeds like a snail

Piknmix

Broadband speeds like a snail

So.

I follow a link from moneysavingexpert to get a Plusnet account for my new small house. A 12 month contract. The link I followed promised 36mbps broadband. 

But the person who lived here peviously had died.  Unfortunately, without giving me their phone number.  So the palaver with Openreach ensued. Involving multiple visits.

And now I have the joy of 5.5mbps download. And 0.5mbps upload. And apparently an 18 month contract for nowt.

Is this a joke???????Huh

9 REPLIES 9
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Broadband speeds like a snail

Have you not checked the DSL checker to see what is available? https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Phone number works best, but if not try the address.

Are you getting the best speeds available or is there a fault?

Piknmix

Thank you for your suggestion.

I have followed through all the videos on the site and checked with independent checkers.

It seems simply to be a rubbish service - unlike what I was led to believe by moneysavingexpert.com where I was led to believe that at this address could get 36Mbps from PlusNet.  Which is clearly false both from experience and from the data at the site you quote.

Simply mislead into taking this contract.  I might as well have relied on mobile broadband and got better receptivity.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Not much anyone can do if you don't share any actual information.

Fixed broadband speeds are dependant on how far you are from the exchange, or for FTTC from the cabinet.

If you are lucky enough to have FTTH in your area then it is more predictable.

Piknmix

So here's some information. Sorry that I did not provide enough before.

If you put my postcode BA1 6RA into moneysavingexpert you get this in relation to plusnet:  https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/packages?location=BA1+6RA&currentProvider=None+%2F+unknown#/...

This leads one to believe that one can get average 36Mb broadband.  Which is what I clicked on to buy,

The complicating factor was that I didn't know the phone number of the address  so could not do the check you flagged- hey the previous occupier died and it was cut off. Since last Wednesday I have a new number which works (after failed first Openreach installation).

I got a warning that "stuff couldn't be guaranteed" until Openreach did their stuff.

At no time did anyone tell that all that was available was totally rubbish levels that I can exceed using my mobile as a modem.

Hope that detail helps explain why I am aggrieved.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Not really, your ink foes not give a result, and neither does the post code.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Mustrum 'ink foes'?🤔

And shouldn't this be in the Fibre board IF the OP is actually on FTTC?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

From a random address in that postcode , the BT checker is saying theres a waiting list for FTTC. It's likely therefore that the OP is on an ADSL connection which would explain the speeds. This just highlights the problem with the likes of the money saving average sites, and that the definitive estimate is from the BT wholesale checker.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

It begs the question "Did the OP order Unlimited Broadband or Unlimited Fibre?".

The topic title says "Broadband" so the referred to speed would be reasonable.  If they had ordered "Fibre" then Plusnet would have informed them that there is no FTTC capacity at that postcode at the moment.

The product page for "Broadband" clearly states an average of 10mbps.  Sight of the router stats would remove all doubts as to if this is ADSL or VDSL.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Townman Agreed - router stats details would be very useful, but from my recent  experiences, you ask for them and the OP goes into mute mode.

John