Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speeds dropped massively

euphoria3k
Dabbler

Broadband speeds dropped massively

Hi,
Over the last week or so i have noticed my broadband speed drop dramatically. Using the speed test on the Plus connection settings, i used to get about 3000 kbps but now i'm only reaching 470 kbps. The high speed broadband service is saying i have a current sync speed of 500kbps, however my linksys router is stating that i have a downstream rate of 3712 Kbps.
Anybody got any ideas?? I've tried connecting directly to the router using an ethernet cable, and tried another machine but it makes no difference!
Many thanks
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Broadband speeds dropped massively

Hi there,
There have been a number of disconnections shown in your connection logs after fairly short connections. This is normally down to noise on the line causing the issues, as such I'd recommend that you test the connection from the master BT socket (where the phone line comes into your house) with all other items in other sockets removed.
If disconnections stop, plug the other items back in one by one and see if there is anything in particular causing the issue.
If the disconnections are ongoing then it would seem to be a line fault - please raise this to us via the checker at http://faults.plus.net and we'll investigate further for you.
Hope that helps,
echoecho
Dabbler

One thing that may have helped cause the problems are the fairly wet weather we've been having ... I believe that can affect noise on the line ...
However, if you are getting a stable service from the master socket then the answer is more than likely in your own wiring. FOr some reason DSL Max seems more demanding on internal wiring ...
euphoria3k
Dabbler

I have tried just connecting the router to the master socket without anything else plugged in. However it did not seem to make any difference.
I have now registered a fault with plus so shall have to wait and see.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I've just replied to your fault ticket.
From this end, it's looking a lot more stable, with your current connection having been established 15 hours ago.  You're also syncing above 5Mbps, so you should see a considerable improvement in speed in a couple of days.
euphoria3k
Dabbler

Cheers for looking into that!
I have noticed my broadband speed is reporting a 3500 kbps sync, much better than the 500 kbps it was reporting yesterday! How long does it usually take for that speed to come into effect as im still only getting about 470kbps on the speed test.
Thanks again!
James
Grafter

Hi there,
If you reboot your router, you speeds should improve.
euphoria3k
Dabbler

Thank you, i will try that once i get home!
Thanks for all your help, fantastic customer service as always! Grin