cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speeds a fifth of what they were, having moved back to Plusnet.

elsmandino

Broadband speeds a fifth of what they were, having moved back to Plusnet.

Hi,

I would be really grateful for some general advice on my ADSL connection.

For as long as I have broadband, I have always had a speed of between 4 and 5 Mbps - various websites have shown that this is slower than many of the other people in my area.  I did, however, accept this as it was enough.

I used Plusnet, without problems, two years ago but moved over to Talktalk as they offered me a better deal, when the contract ended.

However, Plusnet  tempted me back in July of this year.

Over the past few months, I have noticed that my speeds were slowing down and decided to do a speed test - it was 0.85 Mbps.

I tried swapping the ADSL filter and the cable between the filter and the router with spares but neither helped the speeds much.

I also tried resetting the router itself but this did not help either.

Is there any way I can do any tests to find out what has happened?

It would be great to at least narrow things down to whether the problem lies with me or Plusnet.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
DialupDSL
Hooked

Re: Broadband speeds a fifth of what they were, having moved back to Plusnet.

Hi Sorry to hear your having issues with your connection I found a lot of useful information and links to BT checks on the following web site:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/bttest.htm

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Broadband speeds a fifth of what they were, having moved back to Plusnet.

Have a look on the Help Pages. Start with the phone checks and dial 17070 and do a quiet line test, you won't get decent speeds if your phone line is not working properly.