Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Broadband speed

When you made changes did you just look at a the results of a speed test or did you compare the full router stats, specifically attenuation, noise margin and sync speed?
After you've done something to improve things it can take days for the improvement to show up in a speed test.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Hightower69
Dabbler

Jelv, it's been switched on and left since September,( I got fed up of phoning up to be spouted same speech have you run this test and that test etc) all the other statistics don't mean anything to me unfortunately, there's only one that I'm really interested in and that's download speed, so we will see what happens if not I'm off, roll on 4g
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It may be that when you were swapping things around, one of the combinations was actually better, it's just that you didn't leave it long enough to see the improvement in the results of a speed test.
If on any test you see a lower attenuation that is GOOD.
If you see a higher sync speed and/or higher noise margin that is GOOD.
Another factor is that speeds can often be worse during the winter (partly due to the increased hours of darkness) - have you recently rechecked the speeds the neighbours are getting?
Hightower69
Dabbler

It was working fine until the phones went dead during flooding in July, not our houses, something to do with the phone lines, news flash after yesterday's dizzying heights of 0.9 it's back down to 0.6 :'(, pathetic !!!
Hightower69
Dabbler

[mremoved] - CSC Analyst
4:04pm, Wednesday 12 Dec 2012
Dear Mr Oldfield,
Thank you for getting back to us.
I have tested this line, it is very stable, the synchronisation speeds between your router and exchange are as expected, for the length of your line from the exchange, the estimate for your line is 5318 Metres.
Estimated speed: typically the line speed would range between 500Kbps and 2.5Mbps.
Your connection is currently at around 700Kbps from the speed tests you have provided, and as such we are not able to raise this as a fault to our supplier.
Please also note that broadband speeds can and will fluctuate on a daily basis depending upon many factors, please see our website on why broadband speed changes:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/speed_basics.shtml#speedChanges
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net/ or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
Kind regards,
[mremoved]
[Sms Message: Plusnet: We have replied to your ticket, you can view this online at http://contactus.plus.net/. Alternatively you can call us on 0345 140 0200.]
In other words tough titty lump it
jim:csa
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Hightower69
surely in the 21st century I can have a bit more speed

Pray to the great god "BT" that they install fibre to your area. 
Hightower69
Dabbler

[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim): CSA name removed as per the forum rules.]
Sorry about that!
Our exchange has fibre optic but we can't get it, they won't fetch it to our villages cabinet
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Catch 22.  When your line underwent its initial 10-day training period then something called the Fault Threshold Rate was established.  This is 70% of the lowest sync rate achieved during the training period.  If your current rate is higher than your FTR then BT will reject any attempt to have a speed fault on your line investigated.  So if your line started off poor, got better then reverted back to poor then as far as BT are concerned it's 'tough titty'.  For that matter if your line had always been poor then even if the attenuation indicates you should do better, you won't get an engineer to investigate.
Hightower69
Dabbler

But I have phoned BT with a view to moving to them, and I've been told i will get between 1.5 to 2.0 guaranteed, or I can cancel the contract!!! What to do? It's the same old story everybody wants your cash, and as soon as they've got it you can go and take a running jump
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm glad to see one of our faults agents has taken ownership of your personal ticket. I'll have a chat with them now to make sure we're dealing with the fault today for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Hightower69
Dabbler

Today's test
Hightower69
Dabbler

It's getting slower Cry
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Hightower69
But I have phoned BT with a view to moving to them, and I've been told i will get between 1.5 to 2.0 guaranteed, or I can cancel the contract!!!

I think you are hearing that the wrong way!  I have a client on the end of a long line who took out a new contract with BT on the promise of a higher speed.  When that speed failed to materialise were BT willing to send out an engineer to look at the issues?  Not likely!  But, of course, he could always cancel the contract.
Hightower69
Dabbler

Early christmas present? It's only taken since July to get to here,
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You've left your IP address visible in that image - you might like to blot it out and reload the image.