cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed

Gildersleeve
Grafter

Re: Broadband speed

No extensions being used at all now regarding the computers AFAIK The router is working as a wireless signal for the laptop and tablet and the connection to the desktop upstairs is only connected by the powerline adaptors(one downstairs near the router in the lounge and other near the PC upstairs in the bedroom)

The extension is being used for telephones and seems fine but it has no connection at all with or to the computer set up. The phones seem to be working fine. They always did. Oh we have those ADSL adaptors in the system's set up that I forgot to mention.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

But the wiring on all the sockets can impact the quality of the broadband connection, which is what a lot of people don't realise, which is why I've asked you to look.

Gildersleeve
Grafter

OK Something else to think about. The extension is one I did myself many years ago and can be disconnected altogether. In fact I don't believe it is plugged into the socket. I shall go away and study where where we are. What I may have to ask/tell the repairman and see what is connected where(You have some patience)I will out now until 11pm anyhow. That's why I'll have to start the investigation later. Thanks so much for bothering.

Anotherone
Champion

No problem at all Smiley

Gildersleeve
Grafter

Had a quick look as I go out the door and the extension is definitely isolated from everything else.

Anotherone
Champion

Ah, so it's a plug-in job - they can be a nuisance as far as broadband is concerned. It would be OK to use it for a phone extension but it must be plugged in via a filter, never directly into the socket.

So if there are no other phone extensions (hard-wired) then it should just be a case of looking at the stats and seeing what the situation is.

Gildersleeve
Grafter

Hi there...a new day so I guess in the end I should still access the info from the router? As in contact the repairman? Or would you think that is it and it cannot be bettered? I saw elsewhere that(if I can find the quote)an ISP can say a landline is of lower speed but in reality can deliver a faster speed. Perhaps three years ago my internet went through a period where it crawled and was useless. I was told to do a test and in the meantime they'd do "Things" Within less than 24 hours it was corrected really moving well. and it went great until the last four of five months and it does work at around 8.56mbs(?) Thanks again.

Anotherone
Champion

Without seeing the stats, one can't be certain, but based on what you have said it ought to be possible to get it to do better.

Gildersleeve
Grafter

I've taken the first stage and started to send e-mails to the repairman believing it better to prepare him rather than surprise him when he calls again thinking he's only going to be here for a couple of minutes. 🙂

Look I realise this probably different and unconnected but when using the tablet yesterday but when in its wireless settings because I'd been looking into using the  tablet outdoors(and found it worked on the buses and in a pub/the streets)I was told around midnight the strength of signal was good and then it changed to excellent and it said the link quality was 11mbps but ended up at 13mbps by 1am. Don't know if this is a sign of the line/system settling down.

Anotherone
Champion

That's the speed of the wireless link which could go a lot higher. It's not related to the line Speed.
Gildersleeve
Grafter

Hello, I am finally back with hopefully all the details that you need...not sure what to paste for you to see and not compromise my security especially when IP addresses etc...are contained in the info...This was in the DSL area which I believe you said was what I needed to post. My repairman says my connection is slower now because so many people have broadband and are sharing the general telephone network(?)I do know we have two or three junction boxes near by. I can find out more if you need it.

Statistics -- xDSL

Mode: ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type: ATM
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis): On On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 99 60
Attenuation (0.1 dB): 255 128
Output Power (0.1 dBm): 0 128
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 18,716 1,284

Path 0 Path 1
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 9,722 1,276 0 0

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message): 98 10 0 0
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 20 182 0 0
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 1 0 0
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 9 1 0 0
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 12 0 0 0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.0687 4.5607 0.0 0.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame): 3840 321 0 0
D (interleaver depth): 448 1 0 0
Delay (msec): 8 1 0.0 0.0
INP (DMT symbol): 5.50 0.00 0.0 0.0

Super Frames: 9,513,520 8,292,798 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 8 254 0 0
RS Words: 314,718,950 1,216,848 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 27,488 0 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 310 0 0 0

HEC Errors: 112 446 0 0
OCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
Total Cells: 3,509,585,031 460,340,564 0 0
Data Cells: 29,620,317 3,390,720 0 0
Bit Errors: 0 26,692 0 0

Total ES: 3 156
Total SES: 0 1
Total UAS: 49 49

ADSL Info

Line State: Showtime
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 1276
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 9722

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi,

I'll leave AO to do the detailed stuff as he's been guiding you here.  Just to reassure you though, this is the right information and it contains nothing identifiable to you / your service.

In the context we are looking at, your repair man is wrong.  ADSL synch speed is generally quite independent of what others are doing; it is determined by the service type ADSL / ADSL2 and the length of your line to the exchange.  However DATA throughput speed can be impacted by the volume of use by other users.

FTTC synch speed can be affected by other users due to cross-talk problems in the local copper wires.

Looking at your stats, the synch speed is much slower than that expected for a line of your length (attenuation) and the SNRM (DS) figure is higher than normal, which will contribute to the speed being below expectations.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Hi there, those stats are fine, perfect - just what was needed, there's no security information to worry about. I'd typed that sentence before townman replied so I'll leave it there.

Just for future reference there's only one bit of information missing which isn't important in this particular instance, but could be in other situations, and that is the "Uptime" or "Powered on time" which might be at the top of the page or indeed on another page. Have a look about in slower time, as I said we don't need it for this.

As townman has intonated, the speed is slower than it ought to be as I suggested in my previous posts, and that is because currently the sync speed to the exchange is what's called "banded" where the DLM has restricted it due to the previous issues. Now they are dealt with we can ask for an SNR Reset from one of the Plusnet Help Team. As also implied by townman, your repairman's comment in inaccurate but it can actually be applied to the throughput speeds at peak times IF you are on a congested connection at the exchange or further upstream to Plusnet and beyond. (note not "to" the exchange).

So as long as Plusnet don't see a problem with your connection, we'll ask one of the Help Team @HarryB to do an SNR Reset for you and hopefully you'll see speeds approaching 17Mbps.

Gildersleeve
Grafter

Thank you Townman, I wish I really could remember what my speed was when I first joined PlusNet over 6 years ago. I still feel it was in the 16 to 18mpbs area. A couple of years ago I went through a period where the speed was not even a trickle and a test was done by PlusNet on the line as well as me doing the BT test. Less than 24 hours it was red hot again.

Most of the last six months I was struggling with lots of drops outs and pages not loading. But kept thinking "Is it a computer fault or line fault?" But now that I have a new laptop/tablet(using a wireless connection)the desktop is hardwired via power line adaptors. A new router moved nearer to where the line comes into the house and no extensions being used. And 99% of the time I only have one device running at a time.

This time even a member of the PlusNet team suggested I was doing OK with the speeds I now have but the good news is the drop outs seem to have come to an end.

Gildersleeve
Grafter

Wow...that would be brilliant...I'm learning but good to have you there making sense of it all...I think I've been quite good putting up with something that's been happening for months...wouldn't it be great if I saw the speeds increase even more?

Cheers.Smiley