cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed

Pictureman1
Grafter

Broadband speed

Hi can someone out there give me some indication if the following figures make sense, I have over the last 6 months been concerned about poor speed, router stats showing D/L speeds of 0.8 max, B/T tester about .65 max, on many occasions significantly less.  The higher router speeds of 1.3 to 1.7 have only started over the last week or so.  Indicated download speed at sign up to ADSL2 1.0 to 3.0
I have at last found the time to run a series of checks to include both the master socket and a spare modem with the following results, both systems run Win XP with Intel processors, desk top system is on an extension socket, Belkin router N150, Linksys router WAG345G and ADSL2+
Desktop system
Belkin router:-  UL/DL  1.3/0.70 Margin  6/5 Attn  63/40
B/T speedtest:- UL/DL  0.70/0.55
Laptop
Belkin Router:- UL/DL  1.3/0.70 Margin  6/3 Attn  69/39
B/T speedtest:-  UL/DL  0.7/0.50
Linksys Router:-UL/DL  1.3/0.70 Margin 5/3 Attn  69/39
B/T speedtest:-  UL/DL  0.70/0.55
All the above results taken at the extension socket.
The following results taken at the entry point wall socket
Linksys router:- UL/DL  1.66/.71 Margin 6/5 Attn  63/41
B/T speedtest:-  UL/DL  0.66/0.60
The following at the master socket
Linksys router:-  UL/DL 1.7/0.70 Margin 6/5 Attn 63/40
B/T speedtest:-  UL/DL 0.66/0.60
There is obviously some drop between the incomming socket and the wall socket which I will need to address, however my main concern at the moment is why do the router stats show such a large difference compared to the BT figures and only on the U/L side, and also the BT figures do not seem to reflect the higher indicated speeds.
Any comment would be most appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Broadband speed

The reported attenuation and speeds in the three sockets are
Extension socket Attn  69/39  Speeds 1.3/0.70
Master Socket Attn 63/40 Speeds 1.70/0.7
Entry Point Wall Socket Attn  63/41 Speeds 1.66/0.71
This clearly shows that the wiring to the extension socket is having a very serious impact on your speeds and attenuation
Speed test results are restricted by the Plusnet profile which takes couple of days or so to change https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You really have to know what you want to achieve rather than recording figures in every possible scenario and wondering what it all means.  It is pointless running the BT speed tests unless you have waited some days after changing the set-up.  So your only guidance is the router results, which are not going to change whether you are viewing them with your desktop or your laptop.  I'm not sure what you mean by UL/DL because all the figures you report seem to give the downstream value first, followed by the upstream value.
Other than that, you are a long way from the telephone exchange and your internal extension wiring is dreadful.   
Pictureman1
Grafter

Hi both thanks for the replies am not about till sunday so will comment then thanks
Pictureman1
Grafter

Hi Oldjim
Thank you for the response, I am just trying  to try to understand the subject where a a 50% to100% (it was 0.7 to 0.8 about a week or so back) increase in speed as shown by the router sats makes very little difference to my actual speed as shown by the BT tester?  if I do not interrupt the router can I expect the BT results to start climbing over the next 3-4 days? or does the 0.7 in the data you refered me to mean thats it?  My router is permanantly on and had been on witthout any interuption on my part for several weeks prior to taking those figures yesterday.
Hi Reed
What I am trying to acheive is to make the best of a bad job, the reason for all the various figures was to show that whilst I had to use differing units to record the data at the master socket location the data was valid and not changed because of different equipment having to be at different points.  Yes you are right I did transpose UL and DL I am sorry about that it comes from lack of experience in using the forum.
Yes I along with my local friends are well aware that we are a long way from the exchange, however I was hoping for some constructive suggestions of ways forward to improve my internal infrastructure.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The thing you need to understand is that there are two things limiting your speed over and above the actual sync rate
The first is the BT IP profile but as you are on 21CN that changes instantaneously to to 88.2% of the sync speed
The second is the Plusnet profile shown here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed which is described as Current Line Speed
This is the problem area. It is supposed to change to match the BT IP profile with 12 hours but often/usually doesn't and can take 3 or 4 days or even longer to change.
This is why the speed results from a speed test don't show any change as they are being restricted by the Plusnet system
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Pictureman1,
I've increased your profile on our systems to match your sync speed, so this should give you a slight increase.
Pictureman1
Grafter

Hi Chris
Thank you for that, it has at the moment given a significant increase BTw test has jumped from about 0.7 to 1.09 will monitor for a few days to see what happens.  Guess my next job is to try to overcome the problems on my internal wiring, if I can't do that I assume it will be necesary to move the router next to the master socket and look into the options to get the router to talk to the network.
Thanks once again
Pictureman1
Grafter

Hi Chris, Oldjim & Reed
Just to confirm I have run the BT speed check once each evening since Sunday and speed is now a consistant 1.08 - 1.09 which whilst not fast by many peoples standards is far better than I have experienced for about 6 monthe now so am very pleased.  Thank you all for your help and input.
My next task is to see if I can improve my internal wiring, I have already previously fitted an I-plate, my next task is to work through the checks outlined on PN pages and the Kitz site, in particular removal of the bell wire at all internal sockets to see if this will improve things.
If anyone has any additional comments these would be most appreciated.
Thanks once again