cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed

Gildersleeve
Grafter

Broadband speed

OK in recent days I have talked with technical support but I'll ask a few questions here. Been with PlusNet probably around 6 years. I am sure I was originally achieving a reasonable speed via a landline which I am sure is copper. I really think but memory is fuzzy now I think I was getting virtually the maximum speed possible as advertised.

I am on an unconditional broadband package(I think contracted for 3 years)I also pay the advance line rental and the extra amount so I can phone anytime but as I rarely phone anyone I sometimes think I could get away with phoning in the evenings and at weekends  and save a little more.

Late last year I was getting a lot of line drops but kept thinking "It will improve"

It didn't.

However, I took the plunge perhaps a couple of weeks ago and contacted technical support within a three hour period the line dropped out as much as 20+ times.

Anyhow at great expense(which luckily I was able to afford)but really could've done without. The decision was made...with help from PlusNet technical support and a repairman I have used for years. The router was moved downstairs where the line enters the house, the extension I have used and been OK for years is no longer used.

We have power line adaptors and the desktop PC upstairs is now hard wired.

Still the drop outs were happening and at one point my repairman was unable to set up the new laptop and tablet I had purchased or use the desktop.

So the decision was made to buy a new router.

It looks as though the original router was to blame all along.

Then again it was at least 4 years old, probably more.

And we're back in business I am told dropouts have stopped(though occasionally)some sites may be being lost for seconds but for me and as I have only ever experienced the broadband I have always used it seems quite quick.

There's only me. I only use one device at a time, I don't do a lot of downloads/uploads/streaming/gaming or e-mailing. Its mainly blogging/twitter and surfing.

So I am happy but I did a speed check(twice)yesterday and I'm getting 8.26 download 1.08 upload and a ping of 41.38(whatever all that means)

But knowing I once had a higher speed I wonder if I should just accept its because many more are using the network and I won't get a higher speed. I am approx. .09miles from the exchange and I have a number of junction boxes very near by(yards away)

Should I consider I am doing OK to have the speeds that I have? This is not a complaint just a question.

Since all the work has been done(talking to PlusNet/their testing the line and advice)and the installation and upgrading of my computer set up I have been mainly using the tablet. Rarely bee on the desktop(except to do the test)and I have yet to use the laptop.

Any views welcome.

PS I Have tidied up the post so it makes more sense and just done another test using a different on line site and was given the following specs...

Ping 1 ms Download speed 40.96 Mbps Upload 1.61 Mbps

39 REPLIES 39
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Broadband speed

Oh dear, it sounds like you've been given bad advice. Don't spend any more, I'll just re-read your post and post some more.

Gildersleeve
Grafter

I've altered my original post whilst you were replying(not knowing that you were answering)but hopefully it makes much more sense.

Anotherone
Champion

That last speedtest result makes no sense compared to your previous figures, but we'll come back to that later.

The drop-outs may have stopped because the issue may, note I said may, have been masked by raising the Target SNRM by Plusnet, which will have resulted in slower speeds.

Moving to the master socket is a total waste of time if you have an older installation and master socket with old wiring standards connected to any extension sockets. It's fine as part of a "test procedure" just to satisfy Plusnet's requirements, but then any dispatch of an Openreach engineer should at least ensure the Master socket is replaced with the latest type. That enables you to isolate extension wiring and use the test socket where you may be able to establish a problem that's external. Anyway that's obviously water under the bridge. So lets' check the current situation.

Do you have a Master Socket similar to the one on the left?

What is the Modem/Router that you have, or is the Modem separate from the Router?

Gildersleeve
Grafter

Oops I just had a dropout or could not reach this pageShockedMy master socket is like the middle image. My original router was a PlusNet Technicolor model. The new one is a TP-Link TD-W8968. I assume the modem is hidden in the Desktop I own which is an Acer Aspire AX3810.

Anotherone
Champion

The Modem is the bit that interfaces with the Line and can be separate on some Fibre connections that were installed a while ago. These days they are using combined Modem/Routers for most things. Some people have separate Modems on ADSL so they can use a Router of choice to suit their customised network.  Anyway, I'll just try and find a link for you and post back.

Gildersleeve
Grafter

My other computers are an hp pavillion notebook 15-ab155sa and a Asus ZenPad 8.0. I may be gone for 30 mins have to go and do a quick shop before the supermarket closes.

Anotherone
Champion

OK, no problem, take your time, sorry about the delay. Whilst looking up what I wanted I stumbled across a new bug on the forum which I just quickly checked (to make sure it wasn't me) Roll_eyes

Anyway, what we need to see is the DSL stats of your connection. Unless I've got this wrong (I'm not intimate with your TD-W8968 ), you need to log into it with this url in the address bar of your browser - 192.168.1.1 and the username should be admin and the password should also be admin . The stats I think are from the left hand menu, choose >Status >DSL then just copy and paste that lot into a post.

We should be seeing things like speeds, attenuation, noise margin (SNRM) etc.There may even be errors. HTH.

Anotherone
Champion

The left hand menu information I've mentioned may not be correct. It may be under >Device info >Statistics maybe look for ADSL and the figures etc we want may contain something similar to the following format  (with different figures) -

DSL
Line Status:Connected
Dsl up time:0 day(s) 01:59:49
DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt.bis
Annex Type:Annex A/I/J/L/M
                                      Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps)                 443        2771
Max Rate (Kbps)                          720      2964
SNR Margin (dB)                        14.5        3.5
Line Attenuation (dB)                 33.5        52.9
Occupancy (%)                             61        93
Errors (Pkts)                                   0        0

Gildersleeve
Grafter

I'm back(I'm so slow when walking Sad Now if I disappear this time its because I am trying to work out what you've said Embarrassed and working how to access the router on line(or rather between the PC and it)I'm quite quick at picking up  things but generally I'm the one who can drive a car but have no idea what's going on under the bonnet. Smiley Sorry about using the emoticons...but they help me express what I mean. I don't usually them that much.

Anotherone
Champion

Don't worry about it at all Wink

Gildersleeve
Grafter

I've come to a stop...I found the router/modem and tried to log in with the password I was told to use by my repairman and it won't accept it. I know he's coming back with something else in a few days so I could ask him to work out how to log into the router and see why my password is not accessing it. The other option would be to e-mail him I guess. But he said he might be calling on Monday or Tuesday...just means a delay and at least I am online.

Anotherone
Champion

Did you use admin for the username and admin for the password? It might be different for your version (the V number) but whichever, it should be in the setup guide that came with it unless he's changed it, but always try the default ones first. It's not the password for your broadband connection with Plusnet by the way. If you can't get in, then leave it until you can.

I will go back to your last speedtest result in the meantime which was rather inconsistent with the previous one.

Could you run the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run ignore the results, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of those results and post here (no need to grab an image).

Gildersleeve
Grafter

At least I was able to do thatSmiley

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
8.56 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 8.56 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 8.58 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
1.07 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.07Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

I may e-mail him to prepare him because he so busy and he thinks he only dropping something off but I could prepare him rather than springing it on him.

Anotherone
Champion

Ok, that's just the job, and at least consistent with that first result. The important thing about the BTw test is that it gives Profiles - they are important. The 2nd one you posted was a rogue result, they do occur, but whichever tester it was, I wouldn't bother with it again :shocked.

Now there is one other thing that needs to be looked into at the moment and that is the standard of the wiring of your extension socket(s). I assume that the socket you used to use for the Modem/router has either nothing plugged into it, or a filter and a phone.
If you are able to manage it, there are two screws holding it in place on the back-box. If you unscrew them to look at the wires behind - be careful you don't pull it out too far, go gently so as not to disconnect anything. Then look at the colours of the wires and the terminal numbers to which they are attached.
You might find Orange, Blue, Green and Brown wires but instead you might find Blue+white trace, White+blue trace, Orange+white trace and White+orange trace.

If you can't manage it, then perhaps brief your repairman.
Do you have any other extension sockets and are any of them used?