cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed

TJBrentor
Grafter

Broadband speed

I've recently moved house and was looking forward to a significant improvement to the download speed I had at my previous home in a small village on the edge of Dartmoor.  The best I ever got there was 2Mbps.  We're now in a small town where the initial assessment from Plusnet was predicting a speed of 7.5 Mbps.  Yesterday I received an email from Plusnet Support stating that the line speed is in fact 21 Mbps.  That would be great but I am currently getting between 1Mbps and 1.4Mbps - speeds checked over the two weeks since the move.
I have used the socket used by the previous occupier but am not sure that this is the master socket.   (This is the one in the photo with the microfilter next to it)    There is no test socket inside.  I cannot get an internet connection at the other socket, again which has no master socket inside.  (This is the one in the photo with the "junction box" next to it).  There is also a BT box in another room which I cant get into which is connected by an extension cable to the socket next to the junction box.  The BT box has a slider on one side with 4 different positions marked 1 to 4 and a roller knob on the other side (a bit like a volume control knob).  
Any ideas on how to improve things would be greatly appreciated
Tim
37 REPLIES 37
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Broadband speed

Looks like a total rewire might be required but I dont know enough to advise you.
Picture 4 is one of these
https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/product/bt-tonecaller-extension/PG1033/775047/
If you want to make a start pending someone who know what they are talking about comes along Have a look in the Junction box to the left of the socket
If they are screw terminals are they all clean or has moisture turned them green?  Also have a look at you external cable and describe it.
Colour diameter does it look like one round cable or 2 side by side. - a picture of the inside of the junction box would also be useful and the inside of the socket could do with being better focussed or a description of what colour wires go where.
If your internet is now back in use you should limit the number of times you plug it in and out as much as possible
cedlor
Grafter

Had another look at this and think I misunderstood which socket you are using.
You have the router in the one in Pic006 and 007 - yes? via the filter to the right. Is your phone also in that filter?
The wire into that socket where does it come from?
In pic002  there is an unplugged lead is that to the box in the other room you cant get into?  I would keep that unplugged until this is sorted out.
Do you have a corded phone?
Where is the ringer extension in the last picture connected to?
How does you wire come into the house - is it underground or from a pole and can you see any more connection boxes outside.
When you say the router doesnt work in the socket in the first picture did you have it connected via a filter?
TJBrentor
Grafter

Thanks cedlor
New photos added of the socket next to the junction box. 
Yes, I'm using the socket in the photo with the filter and yes the phone goes through this filter too.  I presume that the wire comes from the junction box, but cant be sure. 
The unplugged lead goes to the box in picture 4 which is (and always has been ) disconnected.
The phone is cordless, the base unit connects alongside the router through a micro filter.
The wire comes into the house underground - the only connection I can see is at the junction box (which is so old it's marked GPO).
The wiring in the socket next to the junction box is as follows:
The two white cables come up from the bottom of the box.  One of the cables has been cut off. 
On the left hand side
- bottom = two orange with white fleck.  One goes from the live cable, one from the cut off one.
- middle = two blue with white fleck.  As above
- top = Single green - comes from cut off cable
On the right hand side
- bottom = orange and white - comes from cut cable
- middle = two white with blue fleck - one goes to each cable
- top = white with green fleck - comes from cut cable
Unconnected - all from cable connected to junction box:
white with orange
green
white with green
Junction box:
right hand side cable goes to socket from which:
Orange with white goes to top connector on left hand side
Blue with white goes to middle connector and right hand side
White with blue goes to bottom connector on right hand side
Not connected - green, white with orange, white with green
Thicker cable on left hand side (black at end)
White to middle connector, left hand side
light brown to bottom connector left hand side
Other cable on left hand side:
Green to top connector left hand side
Blue to middle connector left hand side
Orange to bottom connector left hand side
Not connected - dark brown
Socket with router connected:
Right hand side
top = green
middle= blue
bottom = orange
Left hand side
Top = white with green
Middle = white with blue
Bottom = nothing connected
Unconnected - white with orange.

cedlor
Grafter

More questions
In Pic 002 does the cable across the top of the connector box is that the thicker Black cable and 
The loop that goes across the box in the picture from under the carpet and off to the left is that just the wire from the loose plug?
Does the ringer box ever ring on incoming calls?
Can you try the phone plugged (via a filter)into the socket you cant get into in the other room. If you get a dial tone dial 17070 select option 1 then ring off/hang up.
You should then get a call back try and listen for any crackles or other noise.
I am trying to put together a picture of what is connected to where. And what has been cut off.
Also can you get your line speed from plusnet - link at the bottom of my post
cedlor
Grafter

The sockets you have are shown here
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
The cable that is black on the end is I believe the Incoming line from BT and the wire colours are probably White Orange(you thought pale brown)Green and black (Green and black being unused ?.)
The two signal carrier wires are white/blue  and blue/white and connect to  points 2 and 5 respectively.  Orange/white is the "bell wire and connects to point3.  ( at some point you will probably be advised to disconnect this)
My problem with this now is that the wires at the Extension (LJ2/3A) appear to be multicoloured so do not seem to come from either the connector or attached master.
You have said the wires to the right are Green  Blue  and Orange  can you check if they are Green/White Blue/White  and orange/white.  I dont think you can havedual colour wires and single colour wires in the same cable.
As you appear to have single colour wires at the connector maybe they go to either the ringer box  or to the socket in the other room then on a different type of cable to the LJ2/3A
Whilst I have really just re written what I think you have said perhaps you can check and see if you agree - composite pic attached  but still not sure of the wiring for the extension that you have the router in.
TJBrentor
Grafter

Here's a reply in red to the last two posts:
First I made a stupid mistake.  The reason I couldn't get an internet connection from the socket next to the junction box was because I didn't fit a filter before trying.  Internet available with filter attached, but speed just as slow.
More questions
In Pic 002 does the cable across the top of the connector box is that the thicker Black cable
  Yes
And The loop that goes across the box in the picture from under the carpet and off to the left is that just the wire from the loose plug? 
Yes
Does the ringer box ever ring on incoming calls?
No
Can you try the phone plugged (via a filter)into the socket you cant get into in the other room. If you get a dial tone dial 17070 select option 1 then ring off/hang up.
You should then get a call back try and listen for any crackles or other noise.
Did this from the socket next to the junction box.  All OK.  There is a socket to which the box in photo 004 is connected, via an extension cable from the socket next to the junction box.  I’m happy to ignore that one.
I am trying to put together a picture of what is connected to where. And what has been cut off.
Also can you get your line speed from plusnet - link at the bottom of my post
Postcode:
Phone exchange:
MODBURY
Estimated line speed:
7Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-10-08 11:11:45
Current line speed:
21 Mb
Speedcheck carried out today, with router into socket next to junction box and laptop connected via a cable to router is 0.9Mbps

The sockets you have are shown here
http://www.wppltd.demon.c...lephone/uk_telephone.html
The cable that is black on the end is I believe the Incoming line from BT and the wire colours are probably White Orange(you thought pale brown)Green and black (Green and black being unused ?.)
Correct
The two signal carrier wires are white/blue  and blue/white and connect to  points 2 and 5 respectively.  Orange/white is the "bell wire and connects to point3.  ( at some point you will probably be advised to disconnect this)
My problem with this now is that the wires at the Extension (LJ2/3A) appear to be multicoloured so do not seem to come from either the connector or attached master.
You have said the wires to the right are Green  Blue  and Orange  can you check if they are Green/White Blue/White  and orange/white.  I dont think you can havedual colour wires and single colour wires in the same cable.
Yes they are Green/White Blue/White  and orange/white
As you appear to have single colour wires at the connector maybe they go to either the ringer box  or to the socket in the other room then on a different type of cable to the LJ2/3A

They don’t go to the ringer box – the connection to this is via an extension cable which would be plugged into the socket.

Whilst I have really just re written what I think you have said perhaps you can check and see if you agree - composite pic attached  but still not sure of the wiring for the extension that you have the router in.

cedlor
Grafter

Ok  -  Think we agree on the master socket wiring Smiley and the ringer box is just a plug in not hard wired.
I know you are happy to ignore the socket in the other room but can you test it with the phone.  We need to know if it is connected and how.
I think the cable coming into the left side of the gpo connector box must be connected to the working extension somehow but you have said they are solid colours whereas the ones at the extensionL32/3a are multicolour, so maybe via the box you cant get into. Can you see 2 cables going to it?
cedlor
Grafter

Also meant to ask which router have you got and can you post the stats from it?
See here if it is a 2704 type.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/plusnet-2704n-faqs.shtml#lineStats
TJBrentor
Grafter

The phone doesnt work from the third socket.  There is only one cable going into it - I think it's the extension cable which is shown unconnected by the junction box. 
Yes it's a 2704 router
cedlor
Grafter

Right  see pic for query - Can you plug it in then try the phone just to be sure?
Also can you say again where the Ringer box plugs into?  I thought that was it.
TJBrentor
Grafter

Yes, that goes to the the socket which has an extension cable plugged into it which goes to the ringer.  The extension cable is surface mounted so it's clear to see. The ohone still works with that connector plugged in.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

OK this is looking rather messy, but I think it might be easily resolved, let me just take a longer look at your info.
You can forget the Current Line Speed setting at present, that's just the default value for new connections - it will eventually update to match the BT IP Profile. In the meantime posting your full xDSL stats as mentioned by cedlor will also help (link also in my sig).
TJBrentor
Grafter

Here are the router stats:

Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
Traffic Type: ATM
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis): On On
SNR Margin (1 dB): 28.3 31.0
Attenuation (1 dB): 14.0 6.5
Output Power (1 dBm): 16.9 9.2
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 8252 1324

Path 0 Path 1
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 1152 288 0 0

K (number of bytes in DMT frame): 37 10 0 0
R (number of check bytes in RS code word): 0 0 0 0
S (RS code word size in DMT frame): 0.50 1.00 0.0 0.0
D (interleaver depth): 1 1 0 0
Delay (msec): 0.13 0.25 0.0 0.0
INP (DMT symbol): 0.00 0.00 0.0 0.0

Super Frames: 0 0 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 0 3 0 0
RS Words: 0 0 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0 0 0

HEC Errors: 0 2 0 0
OCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
Total Cells: 217337427 0 0 0
Data Cells: 2748959 0 0 0
Bit Errors: 0 0 0 0

Total ES: 0 0
Total SES: 0 0
Total UAS: 15 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is very odd
The sync speeds point to you being provisioned on the fixed 1Mb/s product not MaxDSL