cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed

parisbeach
Dabbler

Broadband speed

This is getting annoying I have had numerous tech support tickets and am no further forward the forums is the last place i can try. I was informed i would be getting an estimated 11mb speed. A bt engineer has come out recently and got the line set to that speed and over teh days lo and behold we are roughly 3 to 4mb less than when he came. The engineer told me it was plusnet who had set the account up wrong. and had restricted it to below 8mb even though i pay full whack for unlimited and the extra for gaming i still have a crap line speed. i am seriously considering leaving as this is unacceptable. can any one help
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Broadband speed

As a first try please post the information requested here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've attached the line stats from a status check, they're below. Not sure I wouldn't expect those to be faster either given the loop loss. Is your router plugged into the master phone socket, and is everything else that's plugged into the line done so through a microfilter?
parisbeach
Dabbler

HI the bt engineer installed a new filter in the box itself in his visit the other week. and as i say gradually the line speed has dropped down from 11 to its current level. he said it is acheivable on this line. but he contacted u guys as our package at the time had been put on a maximum of 8mb
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: parisbeach
but he contacted u guys as our package at the time had been put on a maximum of 8mb

All due respect to the engineer here, but that's untrue. The initial order put you onto the up to 20Mb/s service, I've just checked it so I'm not sure what he was saying that for. It's also not possible for us to influence the sync speed in any way (that's the speed between the exchange and the router itself).
Just out of interest, if you plug the router into the test socket does your sync speed improve at all?
parisbeach
Dabbler

no it is exactly the same have tested lots of different time disconnected and reconnected and it only changes slightly by a few kb which i put down to variation in sync speed. for about 4 or 5 days we had great sync speeds then all of a sudden it dropped down to todays level and has stayed there. The engineer did phone you  guys and get it changed as i had to give him authorisation to speak to you.  We even bought a brand new router to see if that was the problem but it has had no real difference to it (actually lowering slightly. hence some of the drops was us trying the new router. This is silly as i was getting near this where i used to live in the country and find it absoloutley nuts that i am on the same speed
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@parisbeach
Sorry to hear that this is still an issue, can you perform a speed test for us at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ so we have a fresh set of results and I'll make sure we continue to look into that for you.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
parisbeach
Dabbler

I have just done so also after reading up on the problem in broadband speed connection issue bit. i did notice something.I have found out that my son kept turning off the router every few hours cause his wifi on his phone was playing up and he thought that was the best way to sort it. after reading up could that have affected the ip profile? and if so would it be possible to get it put higher again many thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

That can cause issues but in this instance it hasn't, our faults team will investigate this further and update you.