cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed.

benstrange

Broadband speed.

Hi I am a new customer to plusnet. I recently done the 10 day line settle but seem was a problem with my line been automatically limited. I contacted support and they reset the line for me to see if this helps. Around 11 hours after they reset it my broadband disconnected for around 1 minute. The speed dropped from 8mbps to around 6mbps and is hovering around 4-6 now. I checked everything and made sure that line is connected to the master socket but realised that the extension cable I used to the router was old so I have just replaced it and was wondering if some kind person could reset my line again please and hope that should sort it as some day do hope to get the 8-12mbps mark that my line should hold.
Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Broadband speed.

but realised that the extension cable I used to the router was old so I have just replaced it

I'd strongly recommend not using an extension cable at all and where possible plug the router in as close as you can to the master socket. You could then run a longer ethernet cable to any devices that need it.
I'll request the reset of your line now too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
benstrange

Hey again. seems the line reset has made things alot worst. I'm down to 3.7mbs now and been at that stage for 2 days ish according to my router. Had a look around and seems I'm getting alot of errors. So thought I post this for you lot to see if can spot anything Smiley Thanks. Just hope this is because of the 10 day period after line reset  Cry
Forgot to mention I'm Pretty close to the exchange think it was around 1 mile or less.
Estimated line speed:
11Mb (This may vary between 8.5Mb and 14Mb) - Checked on 2013-07-07 15:24:32
Current line speed:
3.7 Mb
Uptime: 2 days, 12:46:26
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 4.210
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 582,04 / 1,75
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,9 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 20,3 / 38,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23,2 / 15,3
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 32 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 986 / 17.180
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 40
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 432
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Is that with the router plugged directly into the master socket, or is it still plugged in with the extension cable?
benstrange

its plugged directly into the master socket now no extension 😕
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, the connection has been active for over 72 hours now so I've requested the reset for you - should take effect later on this afternoon. Hope it helps!
benstrange

Still not worked same exact speed. Guess have to raise a ticket as not sticking with 3.7mbs when line can hold up to 12.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's not going to change instantly, it's your line basically restarting so needing to retrain itself to the best available speed. Has your sync speed improved at all? Is the router in the master socket with no extensions?
benstrange

I understand that just there's been 0 change at all. Yes it is connected to the master socket no extensions.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Any difference if you disconnect via the router's web page, then turn it off for a few mins then back on again and reconnect?
benstrange

yes the current sync is now. Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 6.518
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

If your speeds drop down again, I would advise connecting your router into your Test Socket, just to rule out any internal wiring causing any interference. If you have an alternative microfilter, that'd be a good thing to swap over too.
benstrange

Hey again. Well its been a month since I joined but sadly no improvement. Had a slight spike when speeds went up 5.8mbps but during a skype call internet cut out and dropped to 4.7mbs and has stuck there for roughly 6 days. Yes the router is plugged directly into the master socket. Yes we have had a New phone line fitted around a year ago and No haven't disconnected the router in anyway apart from it self resetting during the 5.7mbps spike. Ill post some details from the router. Estimated Line is 11Mbps.
Uptime: 5 days, 12:50:34
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 5.287
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 1,52 / 1,00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 13,0 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 20,3 / 38,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22,7 / 13,3
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 8 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 14.868 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 3.376 / 743.527
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 68
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 698
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I'd suggest running through our faults wizard and completing the diagnostic questions and we can get this raised with our suppliers if need be.