Broadband speed up & down

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Re: Broadband speed up & down

Bob,
We all learn something new each day...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ossettbob
Grafter

No idea what i`m doing really !!. Today, I tried my TP-LInk wireless adaptor in the laptop an the download speed increased a lot. I then un-plugged it and the speed dropped somewhat. I saw a tip on an Acer forum to disable the bluetooth (don`t know what bluetooth is anyway). Just run a test and my download speed is between 8&9 Mbs at the moment which is great. My upload speed is about 0.36 Mbs. I had an on-line chat with Plusnet yesterday and asked about un-capping my upload as you suggested. The guy I spoke to said it would reduce my download speed. He said it would not improve anything. Is that correct or was he just putting me off ?. You guys seem to be more expert.
ossettbob
Grafter

Back down to 6 Mbs now and running really slow.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I had not considered Bluetooth. Bluetooth does use the same frequencies as 2.4 GHz wireless, and has shorter range than wireless, but Bluetooth activity could interfere with wireless. A modern laptop may have its Bluetooth and wireless hardware combined in the same module, and won't have the Bluetooth and wireless operating at exactly the same time, but would pause the wireless very briefly (microseconds or milliseconds) when using the Bluetooth.
Uncapping the upstream of your broadband is unlikely to reduce your download speed or make the connection less stable. It probably won't solve a wireless issue, but it's usually worth having done anyway for the faster upload speed.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi All,
Sorry to hear that you're having sped issues there Bob, after reviewing your account and the speed profiles we have set for you in various places, it certainly looks like everything is stable on our side here so it looks like ejs and Townman are leading you down the correct path of investigation where the wireless connection is concerned.
I wonder if you're able to have a dig around on Google to find out the vendor of the wireless equipment in the laptop and see if this is a common issue with the model/version of wireless card the laptop is running. Do you know the make and model of the laptop you're using?
As for the uncapping of the upload speed, there is a slight chance of a negligible reduction in speed when uncapping the upload but given your lines characteristics, I wouldn't think you would see any kind of impact from this at all. It certainly shouldn't make it unstable in any way given its performance so if you would like us to uncap this for you, then just let us know.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Adam,
Great to see you back on the forums - have you (quietly) returned to fill the gap left by Linn?  I could be a reoccurring theme "I'll be back...!"
How are things going in the new role?
Thank you for clarifying the suggestion made to Bob by the agent - saved me having to ask for clarification... as you suggest though there is a small possibility of a slight impact on the DS speed, it should not be confused with other technology options / configurations in which US "uncapping" does consume "space" otherwise allocated to the DS bandwidth.  I think that the advice given by agents might need some "reshaping".
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ossettbob
Grafter

I actually raised a ticket last Friday about the unstability of my connection but gave up on it after all the information requests. I came in here for advice as I was not going to find anything out for 72 hours. I`ve had an e-mail telling me they have looked at it today (5 days). My line has been unstable and has temporarily been repaired. Also, looks as if my upload speed has been increased. The advice I`ve had in here has been great and I`ve learned quite a bit. I now know my PN security key no. and password by heart !!. The technical guys must have been working on my fault today as even my PC couldn`t connect to any sites. Nearly had my 2nd heart attack !. Anyway, thanks all for your help. Must appreciated.
I hope I wont be back lol
ossettbob
Grafter

One thing I wanted to ask. On inSSIDer, when you look at netwworks, is the Mac No. shown the Mac No you need to change to a new provider ?
ossettbob
Grafter

Well, back down to DL speed of 3.55 Mbs. How can it reduce from about 8 to this figure in a few hours ?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Bob,
First MAC numbers, no they are not the same.  A MAC to migrate is a Migration Authorisation Code, the MAC which you see in insider is a Media Access Control address.
I do hope that you are not thinking of migrating over this issue?  If there is a problem with your line (which other than wifi is all that can impact speed) it will move with you if you change ISPs.
As for the change in speed from one minute to the next, then that depends on what is causing the problem - wifi varies from minute to minute.  If you are suffering from interference (something we have not explored yet as I did not want to look at complex stuff if we can avoid it) that too can be highly variable.
I am going to review this thread and come back with some suggestions for you to consider.
By the way is it Ossett way that you live?  If yes is the bespoke gents tailors Carl Stuart Ltd still in the high street?
Kevin

ossettbob
Grafter

My connection seems ok this morning. I was annoyed yesterday as I had no notification that they were working on my line. I did one system restore on my desktop and five on my laptop plus looking for possible problems. Took most of my day. I`ll see how it goes now as technical are still looking at it. Yes, Carl Stuarts are still there. It is now run by Jane, the daughter, as her father is ill and her brother sadly died. Last time i saw her she was run off her feet !!.
davidwalker900
Grafter

honstly ofcom took away the A MAC to migrate is a Migration Authorisation Code you do not need one now its under the new rules on it i looked up on it
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Bob,
Sorry about the delay - I've been back through this thread as I think it useful to recap on things.  I fear you might have a couple of things going on here, which together are not helping, but individually are only a marginal issue.
Quote from: ossettbob
Uptime: 42 days, 16:22:49
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 11.445
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 20,5 / 35,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27,4 / 2,5
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 8.825 / 0

xDSL session time of 42 days is fairly impressive, especially with the SNRM getting as low as 2.5dB.  Can you please keep an eye on these stats - particularly how high / low the SNRM gets and at what time.  If you are able spot checks every 3 hours from as early in the day to as late in the day as you can manage would be helpful.  At this time of year I expect to see the SNRM fall from around 16:00 as dusk starts to fall and to remain depressed until just after sunrise.  What I am interested in finding out is how much the difference is.  The error seconds count is less that 0.25% which is very low.
The above points away from an unstable line, however in your recent posts you said...
My line has been unstable and has temporarily been repaired. Also, looks as if my upload speed has been increased. ... The technical guys must have been working on my fault today as even my PC couldn`t connect to any sites.

Do you have any details of what the tech guys claimed was wrong and what have they done - "temporarily been repaired"?
Quote from: Adam
...after reviewing your account and the speed profiles we have set for you in various places, it certainly looks like everything is stable on our side here so it looks like ejs and Townman are leading you down the correct path of investigation where the wireless connection is concerned.
I wonder if you're able to have a dig around on Google to find out the vendor of the wireless equipment in the laptop and see if this is a common issue with the model/version of wireless card the laptop is running. Do you know the make and model of the laptop you're using?

Adam was covering in here during a training session - he is ex-CRT and knew his stuff - his comment seems at variance with what the tech guys have been saying - doing.  Can you please post your current line stats.
Did you find out anything about the laptop's wifi adaptor?  What laptop is it please - maybe I can look it up for you?
Signal levels on others near me (BT) are all 83-91 and all on channel 1..... I`ll try mine on different channels.

What channel did you switch to?  What was the result / signal levels?
By the way, the signal strength on my laptop is now 78, As I said, it changes all the time.

What was the configuration at this point?  WiFi channel / wifi adaptor being used by the laptop?
I saw a tip on an Acer forum to disable the bluetooth (don`t know what bluetooth is anyway). Just run a test and my download speed is between 8&9 Mbs at the moment which is great.

Again, what was the configuration / location of the laptop?  Did you get improved results with the laptop taken upstairs?

Carl Stuarts - sad to hear of Nigel's ill health - have around 8 hand made suits from them - shame I have out grown most of them  Wink Cheesy  Always excellent service, regardless of if it were my humble self or the King of Dubai or Elton John - they dressed the good and the great!
Kevin

ossettbob
Grafter

It looks as if the techs have repaired the fault. It`s running much faster now.I`m getting about 6Mbs DL which is fast enough for me on my laptop.
You must have had plenty of cash to buy their gear. Think I got a couple of shirts and trousers. Trouble is, they are so good that they go out of fashion. Still got the trousers. Might get turn-ups removed !!!
Thanks for all your help on my problem.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Bob,
Good to learn that you now have a service which you are content with.  If you need more help, you know where to find us.
Frankly for a quality suit CS were cheap as chips, not vastly more expensive than off the peg at the high end retailers.  Certainly far cheaper than what my dad paid for a not so good made to measure from Richard Burtons.  Back in the 90's appearance was everything in my job and as you say the wore well, out lasting 2x off the peg suits... until Matalan came along!
All the best,
Kevin