cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed speed reduced to dial-up speeds

broch71

Broadband speed speed reduced to dial-up speeds

Hi, hoping someone can help me out there. 
I've got a Billion 7800N router connected directly to the BT test socket.
the broadband speed has degraded over the last year from an acceptable 2.0Mbs to a current 0.39Mbs.
The 7800N router has hidden settings to change the Snr but although it increases the download speeds on the router in real terms it makes no difference. 
My son purchased a Xbox one last year & was able to play online initially but now there is no chance at all.
The remaining household can only go online one at a time as there is not enough to go round.
It would be great if someone could provide some assistance to get my broadband back to what it was before, it driving our household mad.
Please find my router results below & I've also attached the BT wholesale test results too
ADSL Status
Parameters
DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode G.DMT
Upstream 224
Downstream 1920
SNR Margin(Upstream) 7.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.3
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 31.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 63.5

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Broadband speed speed reduced to dial-up speeds

As it is so close to Christmas, and there isn't much time before the support staff take a break,
Work your way through the suggestions here - "Customer Own Domain Checks"
and then report a fault via the "Broadband Fault Checker"
Do it today, and there is a chance they may get to test your line early in the week.
Good luck ! 
Wink
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi there.
I can see that you've raised a fault through to our Faults team regarding this.
We'll get that looked into as soon as possible for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
broch71

Thanks, let's hope we can get it back to how it was beforexat least.
Its driving my family crazy!!
Wish we could get fibre
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Broch71,
A warm welcome to the forums.  It will be interesting to see what (if anything) the fault investigations identify.
The bear figures you have posted all look just right foe what appears to be a very long line - about 4.6km from the exchange.  Put your details in here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php - and see what it thinks us your line length.
The above synch speed is right on the nail for the reported attenuation.  However those routers do not display error rates which can have a massive impact on usable synch speed.
Is the phone line noisy? Dial 17070 option 2.
Is the router plugged into the master socket?
Can you please gather all of the information requested in the speed issue thread at the top of this forum?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

broch71

Hi at work just now so will carry out further checks when home.
It's just with BT Wholesale the download achieved was only 0.46Mbs I think it said(attached in first post).
About a year ago I was consistently achieving over 2.0Mbs which I could live with.
I live in the countryside & believe there has been several repairs done on the cable that runs along the roadside(highlighted with various markers)
The last time I had open reach out was when my phone line went dead. It turned out that my neighbor also had a problem days beforehand. Rather than fix my neighbors line the sub contractor swapped their faulty line with mine!!!
Eventually got the phone working but broadband is appalling.
FYI my router has always been connected directly to the master socket test point(it's located up in my loft)
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've done some checks on your line, and there are a couple of things that strike me. First, your profile is all over, being 2Mbit, 1.5Mbit and 500kbps in the last couple of days. This is indicating that your sync speed isn't stable. I note though that there are a lot of connection drops, though these looked controlled. Do you switch it off at night? This could be part of the problem if you don't disconnect through the routers configuration pages.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
broch71

Hi, thanks for the quick response.
I have reset the router a few times in attempt to resolve re issue. This was prior to submitting the fault ticket.
On each occasion the reset was done within the router settings?Huh
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I was worried that you may be pulling the power lead out.
As you've done it this way, I will leave our faults team to investigate further. I've done a few tests on your line and nothing immediately obvious was seen so I've moved the ticket to an appropriate place for someone to do thorough tests for you.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
broch71

Thanks Tony, fingers crossed they find something.
My sons is desperate to get the use of his xbox one online.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

To speed matters up for you, I've raised this to our supplier. Our faults team will be in touch/updating the ticket shortly.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team