cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed issue

pandora1
Dabbler

Re: Broadband speed issue

Hi i live in Cheshire and my daughter lives very rural in Ireland, she gets 5mg and i get 1.8 where  is the sense in that, i only want  to skype her as she is disabled and lives alone, i need to be able to help her with her shopping etc it is so very important to her and me but i have no choice in the matter, this problem never arose when i was with talktalk and i was with them for 5 years, ah well never mind all about the money, not the people as plusnet claim. Thank u so much for your help  Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

Unfortunately, the area alone doesn't mean you'll get faster broadband than anywhere else.
When I first moved into my house (It was built in 1994), I was told I'd get around 4Mb download speeds (I was getting 20Mb+ in the previous property but same town). I signed up with Tiscali who then turned around and said I'd only get a maximum of 2Mb. As I needed internet desperately (I run an online business) I agreed. A month or so later I chased them only to find out they thought they couldn't provide it so had cancelled my order (but moved my phone line to them).
I then contacted BT who said I could get it but it would be a maximum of 0.5Mb and would need an engineer visit. I went with a company called "Eclipse" who said "stuff it we'll give it a go - what is the worst that could happen" and got me 5Mb which I was more than happy with. My next door neighbour could only get a 3Mb connection and the house over the road managed a maximum of 2Mb with a brand new line that was put in by his company as his old one was too bad for ADSL.
Even FTTC can be quite variable - my next door neighbour manages around 20-30Mb while I manage 60-70Mb.
Anyway rambling over - what I'm trying to say is that the further away from the exchange / cabinet you are, generally the slower the speed will be. The quality of your telephone line, the internal wiring of the extensions in your house and various other factors make a huge difference in your speed. The last part of your phone line between your house and exchange is maintained by BT Openreach and any ISP who uses that line to deliver their service could find  similar issues.
Have you double checked if FTTC is available to you yet ? I went from 4-5Mb download and 1Mb upload to 72Mb download and 18Mb upload overnight as soon as I switched. It has settled down to around 62Mb / 18Mb now after a year and a bit but still a lot faster than I used to get.
pandora1
Dabbler

Thanks again for your help. the actual box is only a 3 min walk from my house, so annoying, again all about the money can not afford to upgrade so will just have to make do  Undecided
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

when it comes to a ADSL connection the box in the street doesn't matter as it's about the distance to the local phone exchange which could be many miles away also ADSL relies on the phone lines that have been laid down since god knows when.
I see from your stats that your on a ADSL2+ connection, for long lines that isn't always the best, maybe ask PN staff if they can switch you to ADSL1 or ADSl2 they suit a longer line much better, you could gain some speed and stability , no harm in trying
pandora1
Dabbler

Morning thank you for all your help but Plusnet have not been overly helpful so far, so i can not see them doing it have a great day  Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pandora1,
I'm sorry to hear that you've not found us all that helpful.
I'd be more than happy to try you on ADSL1 to see if that improves things for you?
pandora1
Dabbler

If you think it may help i have given up it has gone on so long thank you
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The order has been placed for you - that should complete by the end of the day tomorrow.
pandora1
Dabbler

Thank you
picbits
Rising Star

Let us know how you get on Smiley Fingers crossed you'll squeeze that extra little bit out of your line Smiley
pandora1
Dabbler

Thanks for all your help, will let you know fingers crossed  Wink